FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: What would you pro"s do with this

What would you pro"s do with this

Hi, new to the forum, know nothing about welding, this is the situation im in now and would like some advice on how to address it.

Part of my car frame broke off by the welds, so I got a new piece but in the meantime I wrecked some stuff while taking off the old piece....

Got a little carried away with cutting a slit in the adjustment hole, also while grinding I took a little too much off the already thin metal,

Also would like to know if this is clean enough to weld on,

What equipment would handle this kind of job.....

I know a lot of stupid questions, but I had to ask.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.
    The metal looks clean enough to weld but the last photo is troubling to me. Trying to build up the thin area cleaned would take a lot of heat and wouldn't be an even buildup. You'd have to build it up higher than stock and grind it down. Not sure what that would do to the structural integrity of the frame. For the slot cut you can fill it with a MIG welder using a copper back plate to keep the weld from running all over on the back side. Also, the cracked metal being so close to what appears to be a rubber mount could be an issue. It could degrade the rubber or even burn it, you'd have to make sure you have some shielding between the welding process and the rubber.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.
    The metal looks clean enough to weld but the last photo is troubling to me. Trying to build up the thin area cleaned would take a lot of heat and wouldn't be an even buildup. You'd have to build it up higher than stock and grind it down. Not sure what that would do to the structural integrity of the frame. For the slot cut you can fill it with a MIG welder using a copper back plate to keep the weld from running all over on the back side. Also, the cracked metal being so close to what appears to be a rubber mount could be an issue. It could degrade the rubber or even burn it, you'd have to make sure you have some shielding between the welding process and the rubber.
    Dan
    Dan, thanks for the quick reply, little confused on where you said the last pic, were you referring to pic 2 & 3. That piece of steel is a little big, just had that laying around, i only have so much room in between the frame, you can see the little hump, thats where you put the adjusting washer, if need be i can live with the adjusting washer, but still only have about a 1/4 of room, you can see by the rust spot is where i had two serrated washers in there............thought i could put a piece of metal under the thin spot/ missing metal spot. lol.......i can put it in standing up also, theres nothing that goes inbetween the frame anyways...........the piece im putting on welds from the top and sides.........im gonna try to send a pic of that piece...........this is a non weight bearing piece..........only weighs 6-7 lbs at most, the frame rails hold the brackets that hold up the bumper.

On that one pic, the piece doesn't look that like that......I have it now where at most its away from the frame about a 1/16 of a inch....

So for this deal, its two welds on top, and two welds on the side of that new piece.

Im really bad at explaining things.....so I hope you guys are getting the drift.

Rich

Ok, found a few more pics, hopefully you pros can figure this out

Ok, heres a few more pics, I can imagine you guys are rolling your eyes already, now is this brass do-hicky good enough for that slit that needs to be mig"ed.

The other pic is about all I can fit inside there without messing up my alignment washer, I can go a little further inside, but not much more.

So hopefully you guys can come up with some solution

I know on one post it said to build from the top, then grind down, just wondering why it cant be done from the bottom, that way that corner hole I have will have some metal there.

Ok, done driving you guys nuts today.....hopefully some might think of this as a challenge and figure out what to do.

Rich