FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Identify What Torch I Have?

It might help if you provide amp and air pressure settings. Also what is the cfm rating of the compressor used.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Air compressor: Tank 110 PSI, Line 90 PSI, Rated at 8.8 CFM @ 40 PSI and 7.7 CFM @ 90 PSI
    LP-40: Set at 38 AMP, Air set at 60 PSI

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanks Mike, I've alerted Longevity about your issue.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

That's great Dan, thank you!

So we have the smaller set as well, curious if the new set you ordered doesn't have the same gap between tip and electrode. Try using the New consumables with the old swirl ring (Small white ceramic ring that separates tip and electrode) and confirm the electrode is making good contact with the torch head. Try max amperage with about 55-65 PSI coming out of the machine, close to what you have stated above. This is what I usually test with on a variety of material thicknesses. While the slag on the back will be less than ideal and the kerf may be large on some thicknesses, it is a decent testing point for this type of machine. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Hi LTech,
    OK good to know it should work with short consumables, thanks for that.
    I set the machine for max, 40 AMPS, and 65 PSI. I tried new consumables with the old swirl ring, old is .220 and new is .230, I got no spark.
    I don't know how to confirm that the electrode is making good contact with the torch head other than visual and feel, does seem to fit tight and making good contact, when I tighten the ceramic cup the tip is tight.
    New consumables: Electrode = 1.135, Swirl ring = .230, Tip = .392, Ceramic cup = 1.200

Mike

When you use the old consumables, does the arc seem like it is reflecting the value you have the machine set at? Does the arc bend when moved across the material? It is possible that the torch you have is only designed for the longer style electrodes, I will investigate to see if this could be the reason you are experiencing no arc. If the arc seems weak and or unable to cut through 1/4'' steel, there may be an issue with the machine as it looks like your torch is in pretty good condition, the consumables look old but not destroyed, mind if we see the end of the tip? Inspect your torch's cable though feeling for soft spots or dimples in the power cord. If you find either of these, there may be a weak point in the cable that is limiting how much current you are getting to the head of your torch. I would like to see how it cuts with a new set of long consumables if the torch checks out.

The old consumables are crap and don't cut worth a damn, hit and miss on the 3/16" I tried. And the guy I got it from couldn't get it to cut any better during the demo, he said the consumables were shot.

New long consumables, I don't know where to buy these locally, I'll call AirGas and ask if they have any ideas.

I'll check out the cable today but will not be able to test the machine, no electric because they are "upgrading" the neighborhood today.

This is what I cut with the old consumables and this is what they look like -
    Also, there was and air leak in the rubber hose on the back, I replaced it and no more leaks -

Name:  IMG_20170908_184253.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  31.0 KBName:  IMG_20170914_080416.jpg
Size:  40.0 KBName:  IMG_20170914_080441.jpg
Size:  41.2 KBName:  Air leak fixed.jpg
Size:  47.4 KB

End of day update, 5:00 PM and the power is back on. -
    I brought the torch cable in the house, laid it out on the floor, checked the cable and did not find any bumps or bulges. I didn't even find any holes in the outer cover.
    Connection to the machine and to the torch look factory.
    I had the cover off when I was fixing the air line and did not see anything unusual, loose, broken, burnt, as a mater of fact it was spotless inside, even the fan was clean. The guy I bought it from said he didn't use it much, yea right, but I think it's true.

I called AirGas, they said they can get parts for the PT-31 torch, maybe has to order them, I'm going out there tomorrow to show him the consumables.

Thank you for your help!

Mike

From what I have found on a number of PT-31 torches we have here, the consumables you have look similar. The largest section or center section of the electrode makes connection with the head of the torch, the spacer then separates the tip from the electrode Which is all secured by the white ceramic cup. When you say you are not getting any arc, do the torch not spark at all when close to or scratching the material to be cut? It is very odd that one length of consumable works but the other does not as they should be pretty close in design. Please keep us updated, we would like to help you get this resolved.