FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: LS200pi is dying. older but not heavily used and love this unit...any suggestions?

LS200pi is dying. older but not heavily used and love this unit...any suggestions?

I've been a long time supporter of Longevity and had couple of their products. After being in storage a couple of years while building my last house broke it out and shortly after use My LS200pi started to produce very dirty Aluminum welds, erratic arc and irregular heating. switched gas tanks, 3, to make sure no bad gas...then TIG just stopped working on both AC and DC. Then plasma won't come on either but stick does work. Switched foot control to torch control torch, no sign of clicking on to TIG or Plasma mode, no air flow, no clicking.

Any thoughts. Serial number is 20901300 so think it's a 2009 unit and really hoping someone can give some guidance. Love to fix stuff for neighbors and locals but now at 72 don't think I can afford a new unit on social security. Seems like could be a control connection or board that switches machine on for TIG/Plasma. don't see any bad caps, no fried transistors, all plugs seem connected. Any way to short out the pins to test the switching.

A schematic would be great but from earlier forums don't think anyone ever got one. I do minor electronic repair so if I had a direction to go might be able to fix.

Does Longevity have a repair shop that would have any older parts? I live in FLorida now so shipping back to Calif where I lived years ago is probably pretty expensive. Appreciate any help anyone could provide.

thanks....jbman45
    jbman45
    Longevity 200PI
    Longevity Pro Blue Helmet
    Century AC/DC 225Amp Stick/Tig
    Victor 2 Stage Oxy/Acetylene w/cut
    5HP 2 Stage Compressor
    Porter Cable Band Saws
    DeWalt Hand Stuff
    Shop with +40 years of Gadgets....

JB,
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your LS200PI. The only suggestion I can think of is to remove the logic board (that's the one on the top you see when you first open the case) and look for cold solder joints. I tried that on mine and thought I had found a bad one but it didn't make any difference after reflowing the connection. Still, it's worth a try.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    JB,
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your LS200PI. The only suggestion I can think of is to remove the logic board (that's the one on the top you see when you first open the case) and look for cold solder joints. I tried that on mine and thought I had found a bad one but it didn't make any difference after reflowing the connection. Still, it's worth a try.
    Thanks for the note Gadget. I'll pull it apart today and look at both sides of the board, just overview with cover off doesn't show much. Think it might relate to the triggering as well as a bad sine wave so may have multiple problems. I love the machine and looks great!! but got to get er working of find another option.

Good to hear from ya, I recall a few of our discussions years ago on the forum as well, lately I've been tied up with moving from TX to FL and building a house in FL. But back playing with metal again ! Take care and if you think of any ideas let me know. If I can't fix it, I may consider sending it to you for parts??
    jbman45
    Longevity 200PI
    5HP 2 Stage Compressor
    Porter Cable Band Saws
    DeWalt Hand Stuff

UPDATE! Well Gadget....sometimes the luck shines one's way. I went ahead and pretty much took the whole thing apart including removing the top board and checking all caps/transistors inside as well. All looked pretty good and probably oversized from what I can see. No signs of overheating or failure. Did find though a number of connections that really were not good, especially the screw connections to wires on board. unplugged each connector as well. tested unit as I went and seems likely the control wires to the board came loose.

Haven't had a chance to do major testing but for today have the plasma and tig working with power both on Ac and Dc so and as a bonus the digital display actually works fully now as it has not for years !!

So if the unit is overbuilt and you can't find any failures makes sense to do a thorough tightening. At first it looks complex, but there are no IC chips so all functions are controlled by relays which actually makes it pretty simple and easy to look for failures.

Wish me luck that it continues to work, and you might work over your unit as well.
    jbman45
    Longevity 200PI
    5HP 2 Stage Compressor
    Porter Cable Band Saws
    DeWalt Hand Stuff

UPDATE: Unable to repair this unit so if anyone wants any parts let me know. Only inside the box parts are available, other stuff in use elsewhere. It's complicated but if you know what you are doing and want a part let me know. Just pay for shipping but keep in mind something is bad on probably one of the boards, not sure; so it may not fix your problem. Just respond to this post or message me.
    jbman45
    Longevity 200PI
    5HP 2 Stage Compressor
    Porter Cable Band Saws
    DeWalt Hand Stuff

Hi jbman45. I also have a blue LS200pi that stopped working and spent some time troubleshooting it. As part of my effort I did collect a bit of information that you may find useful. This website is configured a different than others I use so it is not immediately obvious to me how to message you. If you could send me a message then I can give you some more details.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg302 View Post
    Hi jbman45. I also have a blue LS200pi that stopped working and spent some time troubleshooting it. As part of my effort I did collect a bit of information that you may find useful. This website is configured a different than others I use so it is not immediately obvious to me how to message you. If you could send me a message then I can give you some more details.
    Hi James and welcome to the forum. If you click on the user's name to the left of his post a drop down menu will appear with an option to send email or private message.
    Please consider posting the information you have on repairing the 200PI here on the forum. There are several people with issues with the same model, myself included.
    Dan

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

Hi Dan. Yesterday, when I did try clicking on the user's name to the left of the post and it simply took me to the user's profile page. Today, I tried it again and now it has the drop down menu you describe. Regarding posting the information, I did get a schematic diagram from Longevity but did not want to post it publicly without their consent. The other information is a collection of miscellaneous information from other websites regarding similar issues, repairs of this unit, etc. As I am sure you are aware, information on these units is hard to find and repair information even scarcer.

I got the info James, thanks. JBman passed it along to me. It's my belief that the main board has a cold solder joint somewhere. I've tried to find it with a magnifying glass but haven't been successful yet. The next step is to resolder every connection on the board. That really sounds like fun.

Atlas 10x36" lathe