Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I'm hoping someone here can better explain the pulse capabilities of the mm350p. I am currently a Technical Trainer for a manufacturing company and do a lot of training in the weld department. I have over 15 years in the fabricating world and started as a welder with the company I am a Trainer for. We weld mostly carbon steel and some Domex material (700 series). We run c10 and ER70s wire and for the Domex steel we are using AWS 5.28 series wire (LA-100). We have a lot of new welder's and I'm constantly struggling with quality control. Spatter mostly since our products can cost over 100,000$ not only do the welds need to be structurally sound but they need to look good as well. Most machines in house are mm350p's. For the last 8 years we have been using these machines and no one has ever played with the pulse settings until now as hard as it is to believe. We weld thicknesses from .060 to 3/8 thick. I recently just played around with the pulse settings and found a sweet spot and virtually zero spatter on a part notorious for spatter due to tight corners and a lot of heat. Once i got used to welding in pulse i found it was almost easier to weld flat and vertical down and penetration looked great and again, zero spatter! My question is what are the negatives to using pulse? I work with guys that are fresh out of school and guys with 30 years experience but all with short circuit. Now before you guys tell me a good technique and setting with short circuit will eliminate spatter i am aware of that but i need to make sure 30 welders are meeting production and quality demands. Not all our welder's have learned alot of the techniques to produce low spatter welds whether its weld sequence, gun position, or parameters. So, it seems if i start having the welder's learn pulse weld i should be able to gain production time through lack of clean up as well as save materials (spatter spray, nozzle gel, tips, cones, etc..) Any comments, concerns, or suggestions on trying this? Should i be concerned with the strength of the welds? Visually they look great and visual penetration looks fine (blue heat marks).