FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: stainless- alloy unknown, investment casting probably. problems for newbie

stainless- alloy unknown, investment casting probably. problems for newbie

Hi: I am modifying a part of a food processor to improve performance for a rebuilder. I am a machine and fab shop.
    When fixtured and held in position I can fusion weld without filler to save clean up time. No problem -3/32 gas lens, beautiful weld for first 1/2 to 3/4 of inch around the 2 1/2 " diameter, then the arc turns bright yellow nd the finish looks burned. tried less amperage 32 amps. tried more gas coverage still does it.
    Anybody got a direction to go to improve it. The first part of the weld takes hardly any cleanup to polish, The affected zone is a PIA. requiring sanding and much more time. Wayne MItchell CMW Enterprises, Near San Diego CA Many thanks for any help.

If you're welding a tube you probably want to back flow some argon to the inside of the tube. If the weld will seal things you'll need some kind of opening for the expanding gas inside the enclosure or they will escape through the seam where you're welding. Not sure if either of these tips help, hope they do.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw