FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Stainless D17.1 testing

Stainless D17.1 testing

I work for an aerospace company and I'm D17.1 certified for aluminum. I'm looking into expanding my aerospace certs to stainless,inconel and titanium. So as of now I've been practicing on 16 gauge 304 stainless plates, with a butt joint weld. The problem I'm having is that I've tried all different kind of settings, using pulse and non pulse techniques to get the full penetration needed that the test requires but when doing so my welds always come out grey. The welder I work with has 30 years welding experience and says that it doesn't matter as long as I have the penetration. And I've read the parameters of the test and it states that all levels of oxidization are acceptable but it just seems wrong to me.. since its been drilled into my head that when welding stainless you want either silver or straw color. So is their anyway to weld a butt joint for the D17.1 cert with full pen and getting the silver or straw or any other color but grey. Just seems like you have to out alot of heat to get the penetration required for the test. That it's to much heat being put in to get the nice colors.

Welcome to the forum.