FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: 250 PI Sputtering Arc when welding AC Aluminum

250 PI Sputtering Arc when welding AC Aluminum

Hey guys, I've had a 250 PI for about 5 years now, and I've been happy with it, it's held up pretty well with no major issues. I don't do much Aluminum welding, but when I do I have a sputtering arc issue. The arc sputters whenever I ease off the pedal, especially at the end of a weld or when trying to pulse the pedal. It still welds ok, but it seems to get worse the longer I work. It does affect the appearance of my welds when it's hard to hold a steady arc. Sometimes it's very difficult to get the arc started, and it will just sputter like crazy. Scratch starting will usually start it right up. For this instance, I was lap welding 1/4" 6061 using 3/32" 2% Thoriated Tungsten and 3/32 rods, 4043 I believe. AC Freq is maxed, AC Balance is about halfway, line pointing straight up. Adjusting balance does not seem to help the issue. Below is a video where you can hear the problem. Also, here are 3 pictures of my welds. I was just screwing around, but the first picture is my first weld, and they got progressively worse from there. Any ideas or suggestions?

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIAhycuc_Y

First weld:

Second, sputtering gets worse:

Third:

Authorized Longevity Dealer dzljon's Avatar
    what method are you using to prep the tungsten? belt sander, grinding wheel, etc?
    Machines:

LONGEVITY 250EX 25' WELDCRAFT CS310 TORCH
    LONGEVITY FORCECUT 62i

TORCHMATE w/ FLASH CUT CNC controls

I switched to a brand new 1/8" Tungsten for the last one. I cut the end off with cutters and light it up on an aluminum plate to ball the end.

If the Tungsten gets scummy or I dip it I either cut off the end or grind it off on a dedicated wheel I use.

So no suggestions? Should I try adjusting the HF Start?

Looks a little dirty to me. Are you sure you are getting shield gas or maybe a leak in your gas line? Also are you scratch starting, the way you worded your post made me think you were. Big no-no on aluminum.
    Last edited by poodle; 03-07-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Steve
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Lincoln Ranger250
    Longevity TigWeld 200DX

Hi,you are blowing out your torch this is what that sound is, and it is restarting w/o hf. Go into pulse
    settings and max out your current and then set your pulse somewhere way lower and freq take a guess, this will create a square waive with a frequency that will stabilize the tendency to go out.May have to play. Ok.
    1 Longevity LS 200PI & Stand
    Thermal Arc 190 Mig w Chasiss
    3 Victor Pro O/A Torches, Journeyman Torches
    Blue Point Stud Welder
    12" x 6 Power Hacksaw
    6x1/2,8x3/4, Bench Grinders on Stands
    1" Belt Grinder on Stand
    13 Grinders Makita & Bluepoint
    Snap On Tools & 65 Anniversary Box