FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Blue LP 50D pilot arc plasma?

Blue LP 50D pilot arc plasma?

Hello,
    Could someone explain how the pilot is suppose to work on this unit? Does it create continuous pilot in the air? If so, is it controlled in the torch? And are specific consumables required? Gouge/Cut?
    I bought a used one that the pilot comes on for approx. 1/2 a second then goes out, performs normal if started cut/gouge in that 1/2 second.
    If this is normal, does anyone know how to keep the pilot on longer?, for expanded metal and such? TIA

I'm good, I dug up the answers here.

Hey, what was the fix for this? I have one of these and was using it and happily cutting holes in 1/8" steel and it started doing just what you described above. I've checked all the normal stuff (and a few abnormal) and can't get it start cutting again. Help?

On those units, the pilot arc is not continuous but more of a BBQ ignition type spark. This spark allows for easier full arc to proceed. These are very old machines where Pilot Arc or continuous arc was not yet released. Based on your model, the machine is working properly as it should.
    Last edited by LONGEVITY; 09-20-2016 at 05:11 PM.
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Quote Originally Posted by LONGEVITY View Post
    On those units, the pilot arc is not continuous but more of a BBQ ignition type spark. This spark allows for easier full arc to proceed. These are very old machines where Pilot Arc or continuous arc was not yet released. Based on your model, the machine is working properly as it should.
    So, I obviously didn't make myself clear. It's not that the ignition is momentary. It's that the unit just sparks and makes a small gouge, then just blows air. It won't cut at all. However, I think I may have found the issue. I re-inspected the handle and found that the swirl ring is cracked through in one place. I ordered a few replacements and will try once I receive them. In your opinion, would that cause what I am experiencing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vins View Post
    So, I obviously didn't make myself clear. It's not that the ignition is momentary. It's that the unit just sparks and makes a small gouge, then just blows air. It won't cut at all. However, I think I may have found the issue. I re-inspected the handle and found that the swirl ring is cracked through in one place. I ordered a few replacements and will try once I receive them. In your opinion, would that cause what I am experiencing?

Thanks
    Yep the swirl ring can for sure affect the cutting. Please let us know when you get the new one.
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Ok, I finally got my swirl ring and time to mess with it. I installed it and the unit cuts just like it's supposed to. Greatness. Thanks for the help...