FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Longevity Model 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    this picture is one of my first attempts. My camera had battery issues but I am getting better.
    OK, I get it now: this is one of your earlier tries.

One of my first ever welding projects was a cargo rack, and the welds were not too good looking. Over time I got better and every time I used that rack I cringed at the sight of the welds. Finally I ground them out and re-welded it because I couldn't stand looking at them.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Sling, Today I spent more time with the grinder than with the gun in my hand, however,, I did increase the wire feed speed from 4 to about 5.5. This made for a more consistent arc. I also left the cover on the gun. The wire exposed was less than half an inch. Visibility is still a bit of a problem.With the arc going I have a difficult time seeing the seam that I am attempting to weld. I have my helmet set to the lowest setting. Thanks, Ken

You're going to find flux core wire makes it harder to see due to all the smoke from the flux burning off. Not that you can do much about it though. You might try to use a small vacuum to suck off some of the smoke. Not so much that it pulls the shielding gas the flux creates though. Less smoke means more visibility.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    Today I spent more time with the grinder than with the gun in my hand, however,, I did increase the wire feed speed from 4 to about 5.5. This made for a more consistent arc. I also left the cover on the gun. The wire exposed was less than half an inch.
    Grinders happen to the best of us! But reading between the lines, it does sound like you're making progress because you're watching the weld as it happens. CTWD of 1/2" is spot on. Cover on or cover off turns out to be optional per the 115v Fluxcore Tips video I linked earlier, but protect the threads.

Keep us posted!
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Well another chapter for the archives of welding history.My frame or table top is near completion.Just a few more clean up welds. Today clear progress was achieved. I literally held the tip of the gun onto the area to be welded.I actually surprised myself.WOW! However viability is not an issue but a hindrance. I am able to see the weld however I have to move the gun where I think I have to go.I do not think this is right.Tried using a fan to remove the smoke. Zero effect.I may have to look into another helmet.I have tried all different setting but have had all negative effects.Now to my local supplier and get the legs. I plan to use 1/4 x 2 in square tubing. Please go easy on me, Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images     

yeah off course your welder is ac according to my weld experience. and yeah Flux Core welder gets better
    results using DC current.
    Last edited by Gadget; 10-11-2017 at 06:19 AM.

yes off course you welder is positive. sometimes mig welder does't works good as tig .
    Last edited by Gadget; 10-11-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: commercial links removed