FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: New Migweld 200S Question

New Migweld 200S Question

Well, since my Stickweld 140 works so well, I decided to buy a Migweld 200s.
    Just opened it tonight, and have one question.

In my other mig machines, when switching from MIG to Flux Core,I swap both cables inside the machine.
    In the 200S, there is only one cable to swap out.
    I am guessing if the cable inside the machine is attached to negative, the ground lead outside is plugged into the positive terminal, and
    if the cable inside the machine is attached to positive, the ground is moved to negative.

I mean, that is the all-too obvious answer, but decided not to make any assumptions.

Thanks

That's how it works on my ProMTS 200. When you change the cable inside that is the connection to the electrode so you would use the opposite polarity on the outside connection.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    That's how it works on my ProMTS 200. When you change the cable inside that is the connection to the electrode so you would use the opposite polarity on the outside connection.
    Thanks.
    I figured that, and it is a fine solution, but just didn't want to take it for granted.

Tried it out

I wanted my son to get a chance to weld some flux core, so I decided to try using the roller that came with the machine, even though it is not knurled.

I had a 2 lb. roll of .035 in the garage, and surprisingly, it fed just fine with the roller that came with the machine.
    He ran a few practice beads, just to get the machine set, and then we fit up a couple of pieces of 1/4" x 24" scraps with an outside corner.
    He ran a bead to fill it flush in one pass, and then used the reminder of the 2# to run uphill on the inside corner of the same pieces.

All of that went well, but I noticed on his uphill, when he got out of control, and his weld sputtered, the drive motor seemed to react by slowing for a second.

I thought that was odd.
    I have not countered that before.

I think when you start the arc the feed starts slow then picks up. If you break the arc it repeats that process. I assume it's because they expect you to have a slight delay from first arc to your initial movement. That's my theory anyway.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw