FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: CO2 VS C25 on the 140

CO2 VS C25 on the 140

Hey guys. I have been trying to save my pennies to get a C25 tank for my 140, but the first 80 lb tank around here is $180, and my family seems to come up with ways to spend my fun money faster than I can save it.

So I happen to spot 20 lb CO2 welding bottle on CraigsList for$35 and there are TONS of opinions out on the internet as to which one is "better".

The generally accepted "facts" seem to be that both are "good", CO2 is cheaper to use, promotes deeper penetration but can have more spatter. There are references to needing to use different wire to get the same results but I cant find enough info to confirm that.

So I am looking for experience folks opinions on how CO2 will work with the 140. Can I use the included regulator or do I have to buy a separate one?

Thanks,
    JM.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder
    various hand and power tools

Hey, JeepMan- yes, you can absolutely use co2 for MIG shielding gas. Jody Collier at WeldingTipsandTricks.com recently posted a video about co2, and if I recall had another video some time back about co2 shielded MIG. (See his Youtube channel, or go to Welding-TV.com to view the videos.)

A couple things:
    ~ I can't explain the physics or chemistry or metallurgy, but co2 shielding gas causes the arc to run hotter, and works better for thicker material. You're outta luck if you're thinking of auto body panels.

~ You'll need a co2 adapter to use your argon regulator. In Jody C's earlier video I think he gives the Western part number for the adapter. I just looked for mine but couldn't find it- if I dig deeper into my MIG box I'm sure it'll turn up.

~ Please be careful when you buy a bottle on Craig's List. Often people are selling a bottle stamped Pepsi or Coca Cola, and your LWS will not fill them, so please look closely at the bottle. They're often painted aluminum with a plastic shroud / handle around the valve. That may be why the bottle is so cheap: it's not theirs to sell. Deals can be found on CL, of course, but forewarned is forearmed.

Here's a link to Jody's videos:
    http://welding-tv.com/?s=mig+co2

He never mentions anything about needing different wire, and I'm sure he would have if it was a concern.

Let us know how it goes!
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Right on, thanks for the advice. I agree, knowlege is power. If it is a steel tank and cheap, then I might just buy it so I can trade it in on a C25 tank that would cost more new. Body panels and sheetmetal are in my future.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Feel like I scored on the CO2 tank! $25 for a 20 lb steel tank that I can trade in for an 80CF C25 tank. The price on the C25 dropped from $180 to $105. GETTING CLOSER!
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

$25 for a 20# tank is definitely a score, nicely done! Spend $25, get a 180-105=$75 price break is a double score. Good on ya!
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Co2 ,will meet most of your needs on that unit