FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Ridgid Grinders on sale right NOW!

Ridgid Grinders on sale right NOW!

I was in one of those big box home improvement stores over the weekend with the initials "HD" and came across a sweet deal on 4.5" angle grinders. They have them on some sort of special buy. 2 Ridgid Grinders for $79. Come with Lifetime warranty and service and parts and etc. Says so on the box. They even came with 2 handles , 2 wrenches, 2 grinding discs and 2 manuals. Since I love having 4-6 grinders each with a different tool I grabbed a box. I have been threatening my wife that I was going to replace the HF grinders as they went bad. What a perfect opportunity!

I opened the box and found out h you have to register your tools and send in the receipt and etc etc etc. Ugh. But I decided to do it anyway and went to the website and FINALLY someone got this thing right. WOW I was surprised. All you have to do is enter your serial numbers off the grinders and enter the code off your receipt and DONE! 5 mins. Seriously!

I think I need 2 more boxes of these things... Oh yeah these things are nice grinders at least as far as I can telly. They even have the most awesomest safety shield on them. Just push a button and turn it to whatever position you need and it locks in the position! COOL! Some much better than the HF ones...

Name:  01c27bfd1b8895e2a51fae397ac8c7c06ad8ba3145.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  113.6 KB
    Last edited by JustinWC; 06-09-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Zoom! Those are 8 amp motors, way beefier than the baddest grinder that HF has.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

whats the part number? i'll go grab a set today
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    whats the part number? i'll go grab a set today
    Part # R1007 or R10071. Home Depot website says both #'s are the same product, so not sure. Anyway I found mine on an end cap with signage. There were also a few more boxes around the corner by the angle grinders. Should be easy to find. I would check the website to make sure the store you are going to has them in stock. Not all stores have them... The one by my house has 5 in stock but it is not carried in the store by my office.

BTW I got a chance to work one of mine out last night and it works great. I like the size and heft. Feels ergonomic for my hand, and I have very large hands. It works well and even with loads of pressure it is able to keep spinning, so lots of power. I LOVE the safety shield. Far too often I have taken shields off and never put them back on because it it too bothersome to unscrew turn and then re-tighten to get out of the way. The push button locking shield is so easy and fast. AND it STAYS in place! Ugh so frustrating with my HF ones. I also likethe fact that the shield is big enough that you can set the grinder down while it is spinning down and it will rest on the shield and not let the spinning disc touch my expensive table. I also don't have to turn it over like my HF to let it spin down. Ugh that twists your cord so bad.

I will note that the one thing I was a little "eh" about was the switch at first. OK disclaimer, I only buy grinders with the push switches, never paddle switches anymore. Paddle switches while marginally safer initially are loads of work to use. They will tire you out very quickly, and that in my opinion makes them much less safe. But anyway so this switch on the Ridgid can be ... a bit difficult to turn on. But that is a good thing bc it won't accidentally get turned on. It flips off very easily too. In fact, I switched it on several times only to bump the switch just slightly and turn it right back off. Maybe I'm used to the HF switches. It was a little different but I can see how this type of switch is far better than the HF style.

I can't think of anything negative about the grinder so far. It appears to be the right tool at the right price for me. Plus, check out that warranty! Jeez. If you get it at HD the receipt has a code that the Ridgid website uses so you don't even have to mail off proof of purchase and the UPC and all that jazz.

I'm going to go get another set as soon this weekend.
    Last edited by JustinWC; 06-10-2015 at 07:07 AM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer