FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roof rack design and build.

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    Do they have a Tech Support number to call, where you could ask the alloy type?
    I thought about it but I came up with a slightly different plan that doesn't depend on being able to weld it. So I'm def going to see if I can weld it but if it doesn't work, no worries! The reason I wanted to be able to weld on it is to lengthen it a bit and clean up those open tubes. I hate the way that looks. I want it to look more professional. Anyway it's not a deal breaker since I should be able to get around some of those things other ways. The more pressing issue is the mounts. My stupid factory side rails are curved. I wanted to make 3-4 crossbars and mounts to hold the ramp on, 2 just isn't enough in my opinion. I think I figured it out last night and this morning. I'm going to settle for 3 mounts and crossbars. It should be plenty strong enough made out of 1.5" tube, 1/4"x 1.5" angle, and some 3/8" x 1.5" flat.

I should be able to start cutting and welding the mounts and crossbars up soon. I checked last night and I have plenty of leftover AL to make a nice setup that will clamp securely to my factory rails. Lol I was shopping for the necessary square "U" bolts and dang are those things EXPENSIVE, all U bolts are...Looks like those are gonna run about $65. I guess I better get them ordered. I will actually be happy if this build comes in under $300. Jeez you outta see the prices on Led light bars. Yep already found better prices on ebay FYI.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Got the rail mounts welded up tonight. I'm glad I have a tug welder... Now u just wish I knew how to see it better. Poor thing was cranked all the way up. You know one of these days I'm going to have to get an ac tug machine that can weld up the size stuff I seem to be working with, 1/4 and bigger...

anyway here are the mounts. Yeah they don't look like much but these are made to mount with the angle pointing down. The down leg will be flush to the inside of my factory rails and the horizontal leg will rest on top. Each noun will have 2 square U volts that go around the bar and through holes in the plates on top of the angle. The u bolts are just the right width to fit so there shouldn't be any play.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  125.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JustinWC; 06-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I've been researching lights to put on my roof rack. Pretty sure I would like to use leds. I only need flood lights, not driving style lights. I found these guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Light-Ba...eae8e0&vxp=mtr

Name:  Led4.PNG
Views: 247
Size:  521.3 KB

And these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality...-/371194523317

Name:  Led7.PNG
Views: 248
Size:  658.4 KB

I see that the 4" ones are 18w and 7" ones are 36w. Does anyone have any experience with leds and the wattages. The lumen output looks acceptable, I don't need BRIGHT, I need to be able to see to load or unload in a campground, actually bright lights would be a negative in that case, but I still need them bright enough to see. I'm leaning toward the 4" ones for the price and the fact they will not be as bright. Planning on installing and wiring them to a bank of 4 switches so I can turn on only the ones I need, front, either side, and rear.

Also check out how the lights mount to the swivel bracket. That looks nicer than most I've seen. Most just have a single bolt going sideways through the bracket. the 2 bolts and the spacer mean it wont be as prone to moving around.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Cool, went and got some metal this morning to continue the roof rack build. I decided to "slat" the rungs on the ramp. Expanded AL is just so expensive. Besides the ramp structure lends itself to the slats better. I believe its going to work out well. I got three 12' long x 1/8" x 3" wide aluminum flat stock Here is what it will look like. That should be enough floor that I won't have any worries.

Name:  013e1ea01472e107ade91d33203a4557109109bb82.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  0199f065cce48fd3473a9584c3889fb6c440f4857a.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  73.3 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I'm trying to get this roof rack ready before this Friday so I can use it to haul my canoe to the annual church father-son canoe trip. So much work to do still though...
    The U-bolts arrived yesterday. Got my brackets drilled with holes. The U-bolts were too long so I had to cut them all down. Here's what it looks like.

Name:  Roof rack.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  Roof rack detail.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  Roof rack (3).jpg
Views: 224
Size:  118.5 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I still need to cut the u-bolts down a little more. These are high grade u-bolts, made for holding trailer axles and springs... I think they are overkill. They mounts sure do hold good. I have 6 of them total, Only 4 are installed right now. Hopefully I can get some other stuff done tonight and get to work on the next step on the rack.

My factory rails are curved so that makes putting a flat rack on top sorta difficult. I am going to add short towers to each of the mounts. Each tower will have to be hand fitted so that I get a level surface. I think the key is to do one side and get it level. Then level the other side with the the first side. Once all 4 corner towers are level and then I can do the center quickly.

I"m going to use some leftover sch 40 AL 1" pipe for the towers. Measuring the curvature with a level shows each end is a different height. The front mounts will need a taller tower than the rear. Also since the rails are curved, there is a nice angle I have to deal with. I need the cross bars (1.5" AL sq tube) to be flat so the ramp will mount on it nicely. Yeah this outta be interesting to finagle.

Name:  Roof rack (4).jpg
Size:  108.8 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I have been killing it trying it get this roof rack done. Sorry I didn't take any pics during the build, I was just going and didn't stop to take any. Ok the thing that caused me the most grief was the mounts. I figured out a way to make sure everything was level, squar, and flat relative to the other pieces. A little trial and error and a bit of ingenuity and here we are.

Name:  Roof rack mount.jpg
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  Roof rack mount (2).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  Roof rack done.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  65.0 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

And the finished rack on top.

Name:  Roof rack done (7).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  78.4 KB

The front

Name:  Roof rack done (2).jpg
Views: 213
Size:  99.8 KB

Front corner

Name:  Roof rack done (4).jpg
Size:  98.3 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

It's almost done. The two cross bars are plenty but i still plan on adding another one in the middle. Also thinking about adding a couple pieces in the front where I extended it just for good measure. All in all it came out great. It's a tad higher than I wanted but its strong as all get out. I already put two 200 lb men on it to test it.

Name:  Roof rack done (2).jpg
Views: 222
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Roof rack done (5).jpg
Views: 219
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  Roof rack done.jpg
Size:  65.0 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I made a delivery this afternoon with the new rack. It worked great. I even got a couple compliments at church on it. It was a little noisy at 80 mph but not bad at all, and hardly noticeable at 60. It could use a fairing to reduce the noise a bit, but overall I am happy with it. I expect I will make a few more modifications as time goes on but for now it's good to go. I still want to add some lights to it and I already see the need for some tiedown hooks or something. The rungs are too big for the hooks on my tiedowns. Maybe some SS wire rope made into rings and placed around the rungs. They would drop down and be out of the way and solve the problems of attaching something to the aluminum with bolts. I really don't want to mount a metal d ring with bolts on the aluminum because of the dissimilar metal problem. Thoughts or ideas guys?
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw