FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A guide to building a DIY Stronghand style table

These are the gap filler blocks. We are going to use 2 of them to fill the gap between the first plate we attached and the second. Use the third and fourth blocks with screw to lock everything together tight. These blocks will allow us to align our table. Make sure the ends are even and everything is square the. Weld on the riser blocks to the frame.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  158.9 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

One more note on aligning the plates, you will need to make sure they are all nice and level. The blocks should do that for you but double check. Make sure everything is clamped down with lots of clamps before tack welding the riser blocks to the frame. You only need tack welds. Stronghand uses 6 tack welds on their riser blocks, obviously you will need to turn your welder up to get good penetration, but don't over do it since you do NOT want weld distortion to move things. Once you have tacked welded the risers, let the piece cool for several minutes to reduce the chance anything will move.

I believe with this guide you could make a table in a few days. This should work well for tables that are 4-5 plates long but you may need to modify them a bit if you want a bigger sized table. Just use more plates to make a longer work surface. The real brilliance of this method is that you can make something VERY flat and square since you already have a know flat and square surface. Will it be as accurate as a version you buy? I can't say but I don't think it will be too far off. Have fun and enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or need anything explained more.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer