FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Using spool gun and then TIG?

Using spool gun and then TIG?

I posted this first under general welding. This will be my first attemp at building an aluminum gas tank for my boat in well over a decade. The last time, I had access to a brake and friend tig it all up for me. I have already procured marine grade (6000 # grade) sheet aluminum. I plan on cutting to shape for my sides, bottom, top, baffels and angle aluminum. I will use angle for inside support for baffles and seams to make them super strong. I plan on using my spool gun to fasten and weld all inside. This will quickly stich everything together and provide extra strength where leaking in not a concern. Of course I will make holes for gas to flow, just not as quickly as not having baffles at all. Then, I will tig outside where seems are welded inside via spool gun. HOPEFULLY, Tig will mostly remove impurities (leaks) and provide flow. If anyone sees a problem with my technique, please offer recommendation.

Baffles? geez how big a tank is it? I was thinking like a 5 gallon tank when I saw the thread but if you are installing baffles I'm wondering how big the tank is going to be. I've never done a fuel tank but I'm interested to know how to do one.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Tig remove impurities and provide flow? What does that mean?
    HTP Invertig221 DV w/ Arctic Chill water cooler
    Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma Cutter
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun

How thick of aluminum are you talking about? That's a lot of weld you are talking about laying down. If you are doing outside corner joints on 1/8" or so, you should get 100% penetration with TIG.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/adventuresinwelding
    AHP AlphaTig200x
    Longevity Migweld140
    Hypertherm Powermax45