FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J33pMan's Adventures in Welding

Wink J33pMan's Adventures in Welding

Ok here we go. Starting this thread to document my foray into welding and to post pics and get advice.

I got my MigWeld 140 this week and I am pretty excited about it. I have not drawn an arc since high school welding class some 30 ish years ago. But hey, I got an A in the class and maybe its like riding a bike?

Spent yesterday hunting for metal, finally found the local scrap yard that has ferrous metals but got there just in time to watch them lock the doors and close shop. So now what? I cant just let the whole weekend go by and not get to try out the new toy. Then it hits me, some of the guys on the welding forums say that bed frame rails are pretty good to work with and I have a set in my garage! (shhh, the wife will never know its gone).

I stopped by Harbor Freight to pick up some cheap supplies and they have this cool little rolling welding cart with 3 drawers and room for a gas tank in back COOL, but I dont have the money they want for one. Well am I learning to weld or not? I can make that! So popping on down to the local thrift store and they have a 2 drawer filing cabinet, not quite what I wanted but ok, I can make it work. Turns out they also had 4 sets of bed frame rails without headboards sitting out in the rain, SCORE! So on "55% off Saturday" I go home with 48 feet of 12 gage angle iron and a filing cabinet for $30. I'm feeling pretty good about things.

Got it all home and spent a couple hours grinding rivets, taking off end pieces and cleaning some pieces up to start practicing. Actually got to fire up the MW 140 on Sunday and give it a try.

The upside of bed frames is the give you lots of little pieces to practice with.

Figureing out how to start an arc and then blowing through the metal

Various other attempts to figure out voltage, wire speed and hand movements

There are several more, but no point in getting too boring. I tried a few attempts to butt weld, most of which I could break with my hands like a graham cracker.

By the end of the evening though I finally had a pretty strong weld going. I did both sides and I could not break it with my body weight or with a hammer and vice. Not the prettiest, but better than what I started out with and reasonably strong. A little more practice and I think I can start on the welding cart.

Oh I also figured out a use for the filing cabinet. Can you say poor mans welding table? (Just for now)

CHEERS!
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder
    various hand and power tools

Good practice methods i started with bed frames and almost any scrap i could find. The more you practice the better you will get.
    Millermatic 212
    Lincoln 110 flux core

There are plenty of tutorials on here and YouTube start with the basics and stay at it. Its great fun and very usefull
    Millermatic 212
    Lincoln 110 flux core

Going from "welds that break by hand" to "welds that don't break in a vice with a hammer" is good progress. Are you using flux core wire?
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    Going from "welds that break by hand" to "welds that don't break in a vice with a hammer" is good progress. Are you using flux core wire?
    Well when I put it in the vice and hit the end with a hammer all it did was go "SPROING" and vibrate like a baseball bat held too loosely. Ill put it through some more tonight to see what it takes to really break it. I did put the weld over a corner of the workbench and tried to break it, but it didn't change with my feet off the floor. But it is angle iron and done on both sides so maybe not a good test of a single weld pass.

Yup using the .030 flux core that Longevity was extremely kind to include with the welder due to the fact that I had to wait for shipping until it could get off the ship.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

I thought it was flux core, just wanted to be sure. There's a site, welding-tv.com, that is a sister site to WeldingTipsAndTricks.com and there is a flux core video there:
    http://welding-tv.com/2012/11/14/flu...hobart-210mvp/

That video is about using FCAW to fulfill the Boy Scout welding merit badge, but there's a lot of good information in there, and you can see what a good flux core weld looks like. There's a discussion of welder polarity, for instance, and he shows some different methods of manipulating the torch.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Right on, thanks, I just finished watching that. I will have to go home and give that a try.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Ok, time to update. I have been watching YouTube vids and practicing on various pieces of scrap metal but just couldnt seem to lay down a bead like all the guys on the internet. I could get a few that were close so I figured it was time to start building things and see if that didnt help.

Project #1, clampable welding square built from bed frame parts. Extremly useful!
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Project #2 (Welding Cart) is almost done. I still have to find some thin plate for the welder and bottle platform and do up some hooks for cables and clamps and what not. This is made out of, you guessed it, bed frame.

Three drawer filing cabinet inset for tools, supplies etc.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Nice work ... Its funny the uses for filing cabinets. I have two of them in my roll around bench!!
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!