FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Got my MigWeld 140 today.

Got my MigWeld 140 today.

The MG 140 showed up today. Felt like Christmas! I'm gona play with a new toy tonight. Got it opened up and spread out on the bench and started reading the instructions. They are not as bad as some I have seen but there are few places they were just flat wrong. A little proof reading could go a long way here. I am new at this so good instructions are really helpful.

I think the wire feed roller was set on the .030 side instead of the .023 side per the manual, the bigger groove was on the inside aligned with the wire feed. Which is ok, but it is the opposite of what the manual says, so newbies like me need to pay attention here.

This welder came with .030 solid core wire instead of the .023, which is again OK, but there was no .030 tip included. I got one .035 and two .023 tips so I couldn't even play around tonight, I have to go buy the right size tip to feed the wire first. On a positive note, Longevity was very gracious to include a roll of .030 flux core wire as well, but I cant play with that either yet.

The first couple trigger pulls to feed the wire through just seemed to make the motor hum without the drive rollers moving. I played with the tensions on the idle role arm and the wire role a little bit and finally got it to feed about 12" of wire. Then I remembered I was supposed to remove the cup and tip while feeding wire the first time, so I did but after removing them the torch trigger would not feed the wire any more, no buzz or hum of the motor either. Put the tip back in and the trigger would intermittently feed wire, but I felt like I was gripping it like I was trying to kill it.

Is there a rule of thumb about how to set the tensions on the idler arm and the spool? What's the deal with the torch trigger? The first couple times I pulled, it was a fairly light touch to engage the motor but by the end of the wire feed process I thought I was going to break it. What am I missing or over thinking here?

Friday is payday so I'll be able to get the proper sized tips and some extra scrap metal to start practicing. Kind of like Christmas but Santa forgot the batteries so I cant play with the toy.

Here is hoping the next round goes smoother and I get to actually strike a spark.

Cheers.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder
    various hand and power tools

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J33PMan View Post
    The MG 140 showed up today. Felt like Christmas! I'm gona play with a new toy tonight. Got it opened up and spread out on the bench and started reading the instructions. They are not as bad as some I have seen but there are few places they were just flat wrong. A little proof reading could go a long way here. I am new at this so good instructions are really helpful.

I think the wire feed roller was set on the .030 side instead of the .023 side per the manual, the bigger groove was on the inside aligned with the wire feed. Which is ok, but it is the opposite of what the manual says, so newbies like me need to pay attention here.

This welder came with .030 solid core wire instead of the .023, which is again OK, but there was no .030 tip included. I got one .035 and two .023 tips so I couldn't even play around tonight, I have to go buy the right size tip to feed the wire first. On a positive note, Longevity was very gracious to include a roll of .030 flux core wire as well, but I cant play with that either yet.

The first couple trigger pulls to feed the wire through just seemed to make the motor hum without the drive rollers moving. I played with the tensions on the idle role arm and the wire role a little bit and finally got it to feed about 12" of wire. Then I remembered I was supposed to remove the cup and tip while feeding wire the first time, so I did but after removing them the torch trigger would not feed the wire any more, no buzz or hum of the motor either. Put the tip back in and the trigger would intermittently feed wire, but I felt like I was gripping it like I was trying to kill it.

Is there a rule of thumb about how to set the tensions on the idler arm and the spool? What's the deal with the torch trigger? The first couple times I pulled, it was a fairly light touch to engage the motor but by the end of the wire feed process I thought I was going to break it. What am I missing or over thinking here?

Friday is payday so I'll be able to get the proper sized tips and some extra scrap metal to start practicing. Kind of like Christmas but Santa forgot the batteries so I cant play with the toy.

Here is hoping the next round goes smoother and I get to actually strike a spark.

Cheers.
    I set the wire roll tension so I feel just a small amount of tension as I move the wire roll with my hand (the nut that holds the spool) ... as for the tension on the drive rollers once the wire is fed thru the gun squeeze it between your thumb and forefinger adjust it to the point where you can almost stop it.

Too much on the wire spool nut and too much on the tension will make the feeding a problem ... it should be a nice flow.

Be sure to reverse the polarity for flux core wire ... I see no reason why u can't play with the 030 wire and 035 tip ... I use plain old vaseline as my nozzle jelly.
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

Blueriver, thanks for the advice, that helped a lot.

As an update on my welder review. I am liking it more and more every day I get to play with it!

This next part I am sharing because Longevity seems like a company that wants honest customer feedback about the products they sell and hopefully it will help another newbie out there just like me.

Up until a few days ago I have been using the free FCAW .030 wire that Longevity was gracious enough to include with my welder. I must admit that I was getting a bit frustrated because I was practicing with basic bead pads and just could not lay one down that looked much like all the ones on the Youtube videos. They all looked "cold" to me. 50WF / 6V on 3/16 plate.

With all the practice I was starting to run low and picked up a roll of Lincoln wire at Home Depot when I was there the other day. Sure enough I ran out of the free wire part way through the base of my welding cart. I loaded up the new spool and figured I would try a couple beads on my test pad. Holy Cr@p Batman there was some serious difference. I had to turn my helmet up from 9 to 11 on the darkening shade. The bead just about melted into the plate just like the videos I have been watching, as a matter of fact they looked too hot. I had to back the settings on the 140 back down to 35WF / 3.5V just to start seeing a mound on the bead. I tried those settings on 1/8" stuff and really had to work on not blowing through the work piece.

So, here are some pics of the welds with Longevity supplied wire next to the roll of Lincoln stuff. Longevity wire is set about 2 notches higher in both wire feed and voltage settings.

While it is pretty easy to see that I need lots more practice, I think it is also easy to see the difference the wire made in the weld.

Here are my lessons learned. 1. The Longevity Migweld 140 is a BEAST of a 110V machine. Feed it the right wire and I have no doubt in my mind that it will handle 1/4" all day long. I have not hit a thermal limit yet, and doubt I could. 2. Wire makes a serious difference. I was not able to run a satisfactory bead with the Longevity Wire, but I am a beginner and someone with more experience could probably do well with it. That said, the differences in the settings and the filter on my helmet tell me I was getting drastically different performance levels from the two different wires.

I get the Longevity business model, US design requirements but built in China, not ideal but hey, we are in a global economy and that is how it is done these days. But Longevity seems to listen to the customer and genuinely want to provide superior products and support, for example upgrading the wire feed mechanism in the 140 from plastic to steel. I am loving the 140 welder, but I urge Longevity to reconsider their wire supplier. I dont think the wire product you are getting is doing you any favors in your customers eyes or helping your machines reach their potential.

If you made it to the end of this, thanks for reading. Now I have to go restitch the cheap HF welding gloves that have started coming apart with less than 1 month of use.

Cheers.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder
    various hand and power tools

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Nice job! Keep playing with it and just wait until you hook up gas to it!!
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!