FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Reasonable Safety Gear for Putzing around in the Garage?

Reasonable Safety Gear for Putzing around in the Garage?

Hey folks. New to the site and had a safety gear question. I would have asked this in the Safety thread, but no one has been there for about a year. So since my MW 140 is supposed to get delivered tomorrow, I thought I would ask the mig folks what they think.

I am going to be mostly putzing around the garage with small projects, using a angle grinder and working on my Jeep. So far, I have the HF Blue Flame Helmet, welding gloves, safety glasses ear protection, leather boots and jeans and now I am looking for upper body protection.

What is the most practical torso / arm protection? I have seen and heard about 100% cotton welding shirts, capes, capes with bibs, just sleeves and full jackets and a wide variety of aprons in both cotton and leather. All this ranging from $10 - $300. I am very budget minded like <$50ish if I can. There are a few used leather jackets on Craigslist for $30ish but that seems like it over kill (or is it?).

I get that you can't be too safe, but there is a point of diminishing return, I am not going to buy a fire proof suit to work on a welding cart in my garage in July, know what I mean?

So what are your thoughts?
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder
    various hand and power tools

Safe and practical, good idea! I wear long sleeve cotton t shirts, sometimes a long sleeve dress shirt that no longer passes "dress" muster. (Last summer I didn't button up all the way and wound up with a triangle shaped arc burn just below my helmet, so button up.) These shirts are smooth cotton, not flannel- sounds like you already know not to wear frayed cotton. If you need something heavier, you may already have a denim jacket in the inventory. That will go a long way for you, and as you get more experience you may find yourself wanting a specific kind of protection.

I've never worn leathers- that may be best for overhead welds. I think there's a tendency to get so jazzed by the idea of welding (because it is cool) that you wind up buying stuff because you *think* you need it, but don't *really* need it. I bought a set of sleeves that I've never worn, for instance.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Yeah kind of what I was thinking. Stopped by the Army Navy Surplus and they had several FR flight crew outer shirts for $20 Your choice of branch

Any other thoughts out there?
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Hi J33PMAN,
    Good questions. I wish I had known a bit of this when I started.

1. I use lightweight welding jackets year round. BSX has some cool ones for ~$25. Mine are black with flames. I like them a lot. But there are several makers of those and most are ugly green. I have one of those. I was glad to do some overhead welding in it bc it got a lot of burn holes in it. I hate the color so bad. I've considered just throwing it away but I may have to do some overhead again.
    2. On to the next point, if you are doing overhead welding USE LEATHER! A full jacket would be the only option IMHO. Sparks fly EVERYWHERE and they are HUGE.

3. If you don't have one already, a full face shield is mandatory as well. Cutoff discs and grinding wheels can fly apart.

4.Good gloves. I have looked at cut and abrasive resistant gloves but haven't bought any yet. I seem to find myself at HD and always pick up a pair of the cream colored soft leather gloves they sell for $10. But seriously they suck for my usage. They start falling apart after about 2-3 days. In fact if anyone has glove recommendations I'm all ears.

One thing to note is that cut off discs will slice through a thick leather glove in about .002 seconds. It will take about another .5 seconds to slice off your finger. Be careful with those!. Ask me how I know. I have a permanent scar from that. I am just very very careful when using them now, but I wish I had cut resistant gloves. There are some out there but it's a bit hard to know what to get.

5. I personally wear steel toes. ALL THE TIME. I wear slip on boots. I don't want hot chunks of metal to get caught in tongue gussets. They can burn through the leather, not to mention the number of times you will replace your laces.

6. Eastwood sells a pair of plasma cutting glasses that are just great. I got 2 pairs. I never plasma cut without them.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

I think with a lot of grinding a good respirator should be used too that stuff is nasty
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

I know right? Any more than a quick buff with the grinder and I wear the white dust mask. Otherwise I am blowing black snot for the next two days.
    Longevity MW 140
    Rage 3 Evoluton Dry saw
    Table Saw
    Radial Arm Saw
    4" grinder

Quote Originally Posted by J33PMan View Post
    I know right? Any more than a quick buff with the grinder and I wear the white dust mask. Otherwise I am blowing black snot for the next two days.
    Too True!!! I forgot about the respirator. Super Important. I have Miller LPR-100 with the purple replacement HEPA filters. I picked it up on the fly once when I was first buying my welder and it has worked very well for me. It's comfy, seals good and fits under every hood I have used it with, Lincoln cheapo, HF blue flame, and my Lincoln Viking.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/half_mask/
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

This site has work clothes such as Carhart:
    sierratradingpost.com

The site is REALLY convenient in that you can search by size, and only the size you enter in will show up in search results. Sign up for email specials and get notices of percent off sales... and keep an eye out for a free shipping / percent off special at the top of the page.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand