FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: XR3 Rotary Phase converter 220v 1 phase to 220v 3 phase.

XR3 Rotary Phase converter 220v 1 phase to 220v 3 phase.

When I bought my Scotchman cold saw I needed a way to run it. Cold saws are industrial equipment and almost always run off 3 phase power. So I did a bunch of research into different ways to get 3 phase power from single phase. There are different types of converters on the market, primarily rotary driven and transformer driven. Looking at teh transformer versions lead me to conclude they are not as suitable for heavy duty motor driven equipment as a rotary drive.

I looked at the options on the market and decided to try the XR3 from these guys :http://www.phaseconverter.com/index.html
    It will run up to 3.3 hp mills, lathes, and similar machines. It will even run multiple machines simultaneously up to a combined 3.8hp. It is made in the US and the best part is the price. Only about $300. One note is that resistive equipment (ie 3ph welders) must have the appropriately sized phase converter. These require MUCH larger converters.
    So far it works flawlessly. It hooked up easily although the electrical connection blocks were a bit small for the wire gauge I had.

BTW the electrical outlet is the 4 phase outlet I added. It just happened line up with a hole in the case and so I just mounted to the the case.
    Name:  Phase converter.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  90.0 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

I just used some large capacitors between the third leg of the three phase motor and one of the other two. I used capacitors from old air conditioners with a high capacity and voltage. You can use a clamp on amp meter to find the best balance. The only drawback is it requires a temporary starting capacitor to get the motor moving. A push and hold to close switch can be used to engage the starting capacitor, once the motor spins up let go of the switch. On my lathe I even stripped a capacitor start single phase motor of the coil wiring and shortened the shaft. I wired the centrifugal switch of the single phase motor to engage the capacitor and drove it from an extra pulley on the three phase motor. Once the device spun up the centrifugal switch opens and the capacitor drops out. That made the lathe auto start when you throw the on switch.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I just used some large capacitors between the third leg of the three phase motor and one of the other two. I used capacitors from old air conditioners with a high capacity and voltage. You can use a clamp on amp meter to find the best balance. The only drawback is it requires a temporary starting capacitor to get the motor moving. A push and hold to close switch can be used to engage the starting capacitor, once the motor spins up let go of the switch. On my lathe I even stripped a capacitor start single phase motor of the coil wiring and shortened the shaft. I wired the centrifugal switch of the single phase motor to engage the capacitor and drove it from an extra pulley on the three phase motor. Once the device spun up the centrifugal switch opens and the capacitor drops out. That made the lathe auto start when you throw the on switch.
    LOl I am not surprisd Gadget. You are that kind of guy. If I had a spare motor, resistors, and capacitor laying around I would have done that myself. I just don't have all kinds of spare parts hanging about. I am not a huge electric guy either. I can rewire a 3 way switch correctly and some basic soldering but beyond that I don't know my way around well enough. For those guys needing an off the shelf solution this is the cheapest I could find. Actually I talked to lots of folks dont even know you can turn single phase 220v into 3phase.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Hmmm, I'm getting quite the reputation here.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

I have a 7.5 HP pase-o-matic will run my 5 hp motors on my lathe 1.5 HP on my mill 5 hp on my compressor will run up to 2.5 times the rated power at one time the most I have run is the lathe and the air total of 10 hp.