FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Cool grinding disc! Rex-Cut Max Flex Review

Cool grinding disc! Rex-Cut Max Flex Review

So when I made my order with Lehigh Valley, I saw this interesting grinding disc made made Rex-Cut called the Max Flex. It was about $7 so I only bought one, but i wish I had bought more. This thing is so awesome.

It cuts about like a flap disc but leavers a smoother finish. But it also grinds like a grinding disc where you can get into corners. Incidentally the edge will round slightly but nowhere nearly as bad as a grinding disc because it is so thin. This thing is fantastic for removing welds from inside corners and smoothing them out. I frequently need to clean the welds from inside corners so that a piece of wood can sit in the corner snugly. This disc works like a champ.

It also works great on any weld you need to feather. Because the disc is fairly rigid it works better than a flap disc when you need to pinpoint where you need to grind. I would definitely recommend everyone to get one and try it, better yet get 2 or 3 because I do not think you will be disappointed with what they do.

Name:  LeHigh Valley abrasives Max FLex.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  150.1 KB
    Name:  LeHigh Valley Max Flex.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  99.6 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Great info ... Gotta try one.
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

I just reordered a bunch of stuff from LeHigh Valley abrasives and I thought I would give you a bit more info on the Max Flex and how it I use it. I love the Max Flex discs. They are perfect for getting into corners and removing the weld fillet. I do not use them much but when you need it, no other disc will do what this one does.

I found the life to be close to a regular grinding wheel, a little shorter. Since it is a cotton bonded wheel you should be careful about grinding jagged stuff. It will last longer if you first grind off the sharp and pointy stuff with something else.

The stuff I build has a certain aesthetic and I like very square corners, outside and inside. I actually don't weld most inside corners in order to maintain the visual lines on my pieces. If it's not something that can be seen then it gets welded. But in the cases where it is needed for strength I can weld the inside corners and grind down the weld to almost 90 using the Max Flex. It also works great in that it does not leave huge gouge marks like a grinding wheel or a 40 grit flap disc. The finish is more like 120 grit. This saves me time by not having to go back over it with an 80 and then 120 grit flap disc.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

How flexible is it? I could use something like that
    http://www.youtube.com/c/adventuresinwelding
    AHP AlphaTig200x
    Longevity Migweld140
    Hypertherm Powermax45

It's pretty rigid with a little flex. You should watch the video on youtube or on the LeHigh Valley site. That will give you a better idea. I just ordered 10 more. They aren't exactly cheap when you compare them to a flap disc from LeHigh. But $7 each isn't expensive for what most folks pay for a single disc. I saw they now have the fillet weld contour flap discs. Those are like a regular flap disc but the sandpaper is also wrapped around the edge and a bit on top of the flap disc. This makes nice round corners. You can grind directly on the weld fillet to grind off the ugly.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Thanks, I'm checking the site out now!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/adventuresinwelding
    AHP AlphaTig200x
    Longevity Migweld140
    Hypertherm Powermax45