FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Powder coating

Powder coating

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else out there powdercoats. I have an Eastwood Dual voltage gun and the IR cure lamp. I have powdercoated a few things so far but the lamp is very time consuming to use on furniture pieces like I make. I have been researching ovens but haven't decided on any particular option yet (Yes I follow the Caswells oven build thread). I already purchased an old oven off CL for donor parts but the cost and time to build a sheet metal oven from scratch is a real downer. I was wondering what others here are using.

I have considered using a 55 gal drum as a cure oven. It is big enough to do a lot of the stuff I need it to do. I would eventually like to have an oven big enough to hold a full size table but that's gonna be expensive and large, 8'Hx5'Wx5'D. For now I can use something smaller, at least 36H".

And no the oven I currently have is not suitable for what I need to cure. I need one dimension to be at least 30". No residential cooking oven meets that requirement. Besides I need to hang parts. They cannot lay down flat.

Anyway, ideas for fast simple designs?

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

The old one HF used to have was awesome, too bad they stopped selling it.
    I use a little george foreman chicken rotisserie and it works well for small parts. I have no reason to have a larger oven than my spray booth lol
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

So yeah here is the process for powdercoating with an IR lamp. IR lamps cure faster than an oven, but you need to find an IR cure chart. I think the time was ~6 minutes per section on these legs. The problem is how they are configured. Curing a round object is hard enough. the IR ray travel in a straight line and so only the part facing the lamp got cured well while off to each side, say at 20, you could tell it was not cured. And at the top it was dang near impossible to cure the inside parts of the round rod. If you want to use an IR lamp you need flat parts. They came out OK but it took something like 2 hours for each leg...UGH!
    Name:  Powdercoat HotCoat dual voltage gun.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  105.3 KB
    Name:  Powdercoat before curing.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  105.9 KB
    Name:  Powdercoat white hairpins curing.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  90.7 KB
    Name:  Powdercoat white hairpins curing (2).jpg
Views: 164
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  Powdercoat white hairpins finished.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  74.2 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer