FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: 1 Year review Forcecut 42i Plasma cutter. With pics!

1 Year review Forcecut 42i Plasma cutter. With pics!

I got the Forcecut 42i Feb 2014 after researching and agonizing over one for 6-7 months. It arrived without the 110v power cord but a quick call and that was resolved within 2 days. Otherwise it arrived in perfect working order and I proceeded to put the thing to work immediately.

I've cut quite a bit with it but the most demanding job was the following project. I had to cut more than 36 feet worth of 1/2" thick steel plate. Not only that but the cuts need to be nice enough to be used for furniture. So they had to be pretty clean and straight. Of course I ground them to the final shape but I did not want it to take long to clean up either. I used only 1 set of consumables, installed brand new before the first cut. I didn't have a single issue. Take a look at the results for yourself.

Name:  Cassedy parts (2).jpg
Views: 545
Size:  87.0 KB
    Name:  Cassedy table parts.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  76.1 KB
    Name:  Cassedy leftovers.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  186.6 KB
    Name:  Cassedy  plasma cut parts close up.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  Cassedy table parts after grinding.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  175.2 KB
    Name:  Cassedy table legs.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  Cassedy benches  tacked.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  92.8 KB
    Name:  Cassedy finished.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  74.2 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Well there you have it ... good machine, good project and some real nice work !!!
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

"It arrived without the 110v power cord" Did you cut 1/2" on 110v? What kind of air supply do you have?

You must like the plasma cutter... I think I see a DeWalt abrasive chop saw gathering dust under a table.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    "It arrived without the 110v power cord" Did you cut 1/2" on 110v? What kind of air supply do you have?

You must like the plasma cutter... I think I see a DeWalt abrasive chop saw gathering dust under a table.
    Lol yeah but no. I mostly run off 220v since I have a couple of drops. But it's nice to use the 110v option.

That Dewalt chop saw is relegated only to trips to the metal supplier. Um yeah it works for rough cuts.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Oh and my air supply is just the Harbor Freight 2hp 29 gal air compressor with a water trap and desiccant dryer. Your water trap and dessicant dryer are the most important part of your air supply. If you don't have that you can't really plasma cut. Oh you will melt metal sort of, but it won't be pretty.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

I've heard about the importance of dry air in the equation. I've been toying with the idea of a plasma cutter- hard to justify because I don't really have the need for it. I've got a 20 gal. compressor with enough CFM to sustain a cutter... more dreams than cash, just now.
    Victor o/a

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    I've heard about the importance of dry air in the equation. I've been toying with the idea of a plasma cutter- hard to justify because I don't really have the need for it. I've got a 20 gal. compressor with enough CFM to sustain a cutter... more dreams than cash, just now.
    Sling, just about one year ago I was just some guy with a welder and a few little household projects under my belt, a smoker, some tiki torches, fixing a lawnmower, a tiller, and some chairs. I was getting just little odd jobs off Craigslist. This was nothing more that a spare time hobby. I really did it cause I wanted a nice smoker so bad. I put the ad on CL just to help pay for the welder. Anyway, about a year ago I got 2 hits on my CL ad that completely changed everything. One was a commission to build a large folding truck ramp. And the other was a local furniture designer needing some metal stuff done. And really all it took was that I responded positively and enthusiastically to each inquiry. Both customers told me that I was the only welder they contacted willing to undertake their jobs. I believe this is the case with all the other small jobs I did too.

A year ago I had, a small 180 amp mig machine, a Thermal arc 186 my wife generously got me for Christmas, and a couple HF grinders. That's it! Now look at all I have. AND... it's all paid for!!! 20k+ worth of tools. I will tell you I really stepped out on a limb when the furniture designer said they wanted to use my services exclusively. They had a bunch of projects in the pipeline that I needed specific tools for. I simply put it all on my credit card and bought what I needed. It was a gamble but a calculated one. Maybe you don't need a plasma cutter yet. That's fine. Buy what you need when the need arises. That's what I did. Maybe start researching the tool you anticipate your will need next in advance so you are not pressed when you need it.

Are you making money with your tools or are you a hobbyist making stuff for yourself? Or are you a hobbyist trying to turn into a money making enterprise?

I started with the goal of simply paying for my one welder. It sorta snowballed out of control after that.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Snowballed in a good way- great story! I probably saw your CL ad, because I'm always looking at "weld*" ads on CL. Exclusive with the furniture designer is tremendous, sounds like a long-term gig.

I'm a hobbyist with not enough projects, it seems- only so many lawn mower decks in my neighborhood needing repair, or tools I can make for myself.
    Victor o/a