FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drafting work station

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Okay ... educate me ... why 3 monitors on one computer?
    Well for bragging rights and the cool factor of course!

LOL no, the reason for multiple monitors is workflow. Realize what I said "WORK"flow. If you are surfing the net, watching youtube, paying your bills online, or playing with your music any old computer will work fine with one monitor. But I do research, data analysis, and write reports. Three monitors facilitate my workflow faster. Usage estimates put a second monitor at ~30% increased efficiency. A third monitor adds another 20% or so (head swivel time and mouse tracking time increase with increased screen size slowing down the gains with the addition of the third monitor.).

But let me give you an illustration how additional monitors can increase your efficiency. Lets say you want to buy a new welder. So you want to research what is on the market. You know your requirements, so you open 2-4 Firefox browsers and put your search criteria into each one. Now you can compare 2-4 welders at a time depending on the screen size. Ok, so lets say you can clearly see which welder has the best reviews, best warranty, and meets all your requirements, now you want to get it for the best price. Again you run a search on what you want in each browser and now you can easily compare prices, shipping, seller rating, etc., etc., all at once.

But seriously this is like describing how chocolate tastes to someone who has never had it. You just have no frame of reference. Plug a second monitor into your laptop sometime and try it out. You cannot imagine how useful it is until you have it. I converted my entire office to dual monitors when I started. They LOVE them and productivity and revenue increased by 30%!

The reason I need three monitors is a data set I was working on that was ~570 wide x 130,000 deep. (570x130,000 = 74,100,000 unique data points). Yeah, I NEED 3 monitors. Actually 6 would have been better.

On the other hand, there is also the fact that computer games are simply insanely awesome on 3 monitors. (EVE looks so gorgeous on 3 monitors!)
    Last edited by JustinWC; 02-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Thanks for the info ... I'm gonna start watching flea mkt and try to get a monitor for this laptop.
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Thanks for the info ... I'm gonna start watching flea mkt and try to get a monitor for this laptop.
    Just make sure your laptop and monitor have the same connector. Just take your laptop with you to make sure. Craigslist is also a great (Better?) resource. A new 19" widescreen flat panel monitor can easily be had for $40-60 around here.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Authorized Longevity Dealer dzljon's Avatar
    Since it decided to throw down ice here in North Texas I am sitting here today
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Machines:

LONGEVITY 250EX 25' WELDCRAFT CS310 TORCH
    LONGEVITY FORCECUT 62i

TORCHMATE w/ FLASH CUT CNC controls

Quote Originally Posted by dzljon View Post
    Since it decided to throw down ice here in North Texas I am sitting here today
    Do you find the dual monitors increase your productivity? Let the others out there know your experience with your dual monitor setup.

Your photo illustrates why it is nice to have matched multiple monitors. The transition between the two is almost seamless, same height, and size. I never even see the bezels. I use 27" dual widescreens at work and 22" triple widescreens at home. The 27's are simply breathtaking to view. I love the look on people's face when they see my work computer.

Actually 3 monitors is slightly better bc the screen bezels are not in the center of your vision some some types of work (BTW it's just plain sucks to play games on a dual monitor setup, you need a triple monitor). But if you aren't a power user or gamer 2 monitors will make a dramatic difference.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw