FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Took delivery on my Weldmax 185i today

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    So it has a standard 5/8-18 fitting which is mainly used for welding gas, but you need to make a fitting work for the plasma cutter.

Did it not come with a water separator? Ideally it should have different hook ups for both.
    Well, this is my frustration and confusion Gamble. In the owners manual it labels that fitting as: 8. Air Inlet: Attach air compressor hose to the air inlet here. Why on earth would you put a welding fitting on a machine when you are using it for compressed air? It also has a pressure gauge, but no regulator. There is nothing in the manual about the plasma function of this machine.
    I got the TIG torch two days ago a WP-17f. It has a 1ft hose coming off of the connector that attaches to the machine. (picture attached) What do I do with that? I'm guessing it needs to directly attach to the argon regulator.......no info on that either. In fact the TIG torch in the manual is different from the one I received. There is no switch on the torch as it shows in the manual. I guess this torch strikes an arc similar to an arc welder. There was a 2ft section of hose shipped with the unit. I suppose I need to find a union and connect one end to the regulator and the other to the connector hose. It's all a guessing game at this point. I was supposed to get a call from Tech Support yesterday and never got one. I'll call them this afternoon.

Name:  TIG Torch.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  28.8 KB
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    Jet 7X12 Horizontal Metal Saw
    Ingersoll Rand 2HP Twin Stack Air Compressor
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    So it has a standard 5/8-18 fitting which is mainly used for welding gas, but you need to make a fitting work for the plasma cutter.

Did it not come with a water separator? Ideally it should have different hook ups for both.
    There is a drain hose coming out of the bottom of the machine. I'm assuming this drain is for a water separator. Again, nothing in the manual about this.
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil

Oh I see now. The inlet on the back is for the air for the plasma cutter. The tig welder is a scratch start. So the 5/8-18 gas hose will have to go directly to the regulator which it isn't long enough. Also it's the wrong torch because you need a valve on the handle to turn on/off the gas. So hook your machine up for air to cut and you can stick weld, but you will need a torch with a valve and longer hose to do any dc tig welding.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

Talked to Longevity Tech Support. They think this is the correct TIG torch and want me to hook it up and try it. I honestly don't know how the argon will turn on and off connected directly to the regulator, but here goes. Tech Support said that the argon will turn on and off with the arc............ I had to order another fitting. It is a RH B-size Argon Inert Gas Hose Coupling - Couples 2 argon hoses. I got it coming my way from BRW Technologies. I'll use the 2ft hose that came with the unit. When it gets here I'll hook the TIG torch up to the machine.................hmmmm do I connect it to the + or the - side of the machine? I feel like the guinea pig here.
    Name:  Bsize gas coupling.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  9.7 KB
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil

It's not going to work. Who are you working with from tech support?

Look at the dinse on the front of the welder, if there is no hole in there, then there is no way for the argon to flow out through there. This unit looks like a scratch start dc tig. No HF. You need a valve on the torch. I wish you were local so I can show you how to work it.
    That fitting you are showing is a 5/8-18 RH female to female. It won't help, it's just to hook up 2 hoses together.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

I'm working with TJ. I agree with you that the torch is incorrect. They say that there are many of these sold already. I doubt it. I've been looking at this torch.....I walked over.....grabbed the hose and blew through it....air came out torch head. Argon is going to flow out there as well. I'm lost.....I can't get anywhere with this thing. If there are others sold and out there, why the confusion? I haven't even plugged it in yet....afraid to.
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil

Sounds like a totally messed up deal to me. I would say send it back ( their dime of course ) and tell them let's start over from scratch.
    Steve
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Lincoln Ranger250
    Longevity TigWeld 200DX

Poodle...........I was laying in bed this morning thinking the same thing. I would really like to use this machine and I believe its probably a good product, but I've really had enough of the trial and error I'm going through. There basically is no owners manual. It is incomplete and missing vital information. I'm buying fittings to try and get this thing up and running and they should be in the box with the new product. I'm on my second TIG torch and it looks like I'll need another one. I haven't even plugged the unit in or turned it on for fear of damaging it because of lack of knowledge (on their part). I'm contacting Simon.
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil

So with this unit, it is a lift tig setup the gas is run straight from the argon bottle to the torch. On this version of the machine there is no gas outlet port for TIG.

For the plasma, it is basically a FORCECUT 42i so it is blow back and capable of a 1 inch cut.

There is no high frequency for tig. Hope this helps.

Who is this? Can I talk to you directly?
    Longevity WeldMax 185i
    Hobart Handler 140
    HF Stand Drill Press
    HF Vertical Band Saw
    HF O/A Torch Set
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 12 Ton Pipe Bender
    Big Old Anvil