FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: First impressions of the new Longevity PowerView Elite helmet.

First impressions of the new Longevity PowerView Elite helmet.

My new Longevity PowerView Elite helmet arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to try it out. This makes three Longevity AD helmets I have and it has very quickly become my favorite. I used it today to weld some parts for another wind generator build.
    My impressions;
    First off, the new plastic clam shell packaging makes a great case to keep the helmet in when not in use. You just have to be careful opening it and cut the welded seam of the shell away. I usually keep my helmets in a plastic bag to keep the dust off but this will work much better.

I adjusted the head band to see how the lid raises and closes. I immediately noticed there is a catch when the lid is fully open that holds it up securely. Once you move the lid below the catch the lid drops by itself very nicely. I didn't have to worry at all about how much tension was on the hinge knobs.

The viewing area is larger than the standard opening making it easy to move around to get the best view of the weld in progress. (see photo of helmet). There are four sensors around the viewing area so it quickly detects when the weld is started and I didn't experience any flashing. I set the slider to the 5 to 9 range and set it to 9 in the fine tuning which worked well for me.

The unit has a grind mode that I haven't played with yet but the manual says a light comes on to indicate grind mode, a nice feature. There is the normal sensitivity, shade, and delay settings with a nice digital display showing all settings in one place.

I have to say, this is the nicest helmet I've ever used. Can't say how it compares to the Miller or Speedglass units since I've never used them but I'll bet it will hold its own against either one.

Name:  GEDC0058.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  GEDC0061.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  GEDC0059.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  GEDC0060.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  86.3 KB
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Looks nice. What's the headgear look like? Does it pivot on the back of the headgear?

i have been wanting to pick up one of these
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

No pivot on the back of the headgear. It's configured like most except for the lock when raised.

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

Gadget does this hood have a space for cheater lens. Also please advise how well this hood has held up since the time you first aquired it
    Thermal Dynamics 211i multi purpose
    Victor O/A Torch
    HF 80 amp arc welder
    Lincoln tombstone
    Really old and I mean old welder
    Lots of clamps, grinders
    And a desire to lean all I can about welding and fabrication
    Oh forgot I have gotten to use an awsome Longevity multi purpose machine and sweet enigne drive thanks to SIC Fabrications

I'll have to check on the space for cheater lens. How much room do you need for yours. The unit is still working well for me. I haven't had much hood time with it though. I've been too busy with the recent move.

Atlas 10x36" lathe