FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My projects

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Justin ... the rage 3 is a 10" saw ??? Just how big of piece will it handle? And how thick?
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    I notice some of the surfaces on the reclaimed wood are a little uneven. Do those present a challenge for the woodworking guys? Just wondering if they have to go out of their way to ensure that a table surface is flat in all directions, for instance, and if they have to shim or "customize" each piece.
    No generally only the top is "rough". The rest of the surfaces are very dimensionally accurate. Even the tops get some treatment if too bad or depending on the project specs.I don't do any wood work so my understanding may be a bit off. However I know Bryan would never use shims. Its just not good woodworking practice. Shims simply weaken the entire structure.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Justin ... the rage 3 is a 10" saw ??? Just how big of piece will it handle? And how thick?
    This is my saw:
    http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/build/rage3db.php
    Yes a 10" blade. Specs say it will cut 3 1/8" x 12 1/2" on a straight 90 cut. And I know it will handle 1/2". So wonderful to use on aluminum too!

Seriously though, most guys think they need lots of capacity. I did too and bought the JET band saw that will handle 9.5' x 12" or something crazy like that. I was convinced that a larger capacity was needed "just in case". So far, the largest piece I have cut was 3"x4" x1/4" angle iron. And boy was it heavy. But seriously I could have cut it with the dry saw!!

But really, you don't need that kind of capacity. Bandsaws, cold saw, and dry saw are mainly designed for cutting structural steel (tubing, channel, I-beams, solid shapes etc...). My cold saw will only handle 2x3 on a 90, not much huh. Well, go grab a stick of 2"x3" tube and lift it over your head. My Stronghand table frame is made out of 2x2.5" tube and the frame by itself weighs far more than a single person can lift (Unless you are a body builder).

My point is that, for most people that Rage 3 dry saw is more than adequate, So is my cold saw. The Rage will cut every single piece of metal I have ever cut with a saw.The only thing you really need with it is a good solid miter saw stand with with clamps and an adjustable stop fence for making repeatable cuts. That is the main reason I didn't use mine much until I got a stand and fence built.
    The cold saw is a little more limited but I have cut up to 4x3" with it by turning the tube.

Hope this helps guys. Also Evolution makes a saw with a 14" blade if you need more capacity. I personally need the mitering capability, and the dual mitering option is a great option for making compound angles in metal, none of my other saws will do that.

So when I recommend a dry saw, I do so because it is capable of very accurate, repeatable cuts, for a very affordable price compared to the other options. But if your accuracy needs are + or - 1/8", just use a chop saw, or grinder or whatever. For my work I need good accuracy.
    Last edited by JustinWC; 02-17-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Here is the link to the 14" saw with a 5"x5" capacity at 90. http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/u.../evosaw380.php
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Thanks Justin ... I cut alot of 2x3x1/4" and alot of 1.5 by 3" 11 ga. ... the only miters are 45 degrees in the 11 ga. You state you build your own stand and fence ... will u put up a picture of that?
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

Sorry to hammer you with questions: in post 16, photo #2, I'm guessing the little hole is for the lag bolt and the big hole is to get a socket in to turn the lag bolt. Are you drilling and cutting too?
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    Sorry to hammer you with questions: in post 16, photo #2, I'm guessing the little hole is for the lag bolt and the big hole is to get a socket in to turn the lag bolt. Are you drilling and cutting too?
    Hey no worries ask away. Yes you are absolutely correct on the holes. Cutting those 1 1/2" Dia. holes with a hole saw was no fun. Just for future reference it is best to avoid the use of hole saws if at all possible. They work fine but are mind-numbingly boring! The only thing I can thing of that is worse is triple integration calculus....
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Thanks Justin ... I cut alot of 2x3x1/4" and alot of 1.5 by 3" 11 ga. ... the only miters are 45 degrees in the 11 ga. You state you build your own stand and fence ... will u put up a picture of that?
    Ack sorry I actually dont have any pics of my my rage miter stand. I can take some later but here is what I bought. http://rousseauco.com/miter-saw-stan...nd-model-2850/
    However I wish I had just bit the bullet and gotten this one:
    http://rousseauco.com/miter-saw-stan...-model-2875xl/

The second one has a built in stop. Very nice for production runs. I just saw it for $299 from Mikes tools
    http://www.mikestools.com/2875xl-rou...saw-stand.aspx

I made my own fence out of 2"x2" aluminum I had leftover form a job. It works nice, but not as nice as a locking adjustable fence with built in ruler.
    I have seriously been considering putting an INCRA telescoping flip fence on it. Repeatable cuts to 1/64" with micro adjust!! Just sweet for quickly setting up cuts. I spend more time setting up cuts than any other single operation so I have a real interest in making that go faster and more accurately. The ideal thing would be a Saw Gear or Tiger stop. http://www.sawgear.com/
    Lol I think it's hilarious that there are so many more products for accurizing woodworking tools than metal tools. At least saw gear and tiger stop are marketed to both woodworkers and metal workers.

BTW, one of the most genius safety products to hit the market is marketed only to woodworkers. What a shame. Look up Saw Stop and watch how it won't cut off your fingers!!
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

Hey I did find a couple pics.
    Name:  Rage 3.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  125.6 KB
    Name:  Rage 3 (2).jpg
Views: 583
Size:  130.1 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw

It's Been a busy weekend. I got 6 orders last week, and I have been scrambling to get everything done. Here are some of my latest projects.
    Caldwell table
    Name:  IMG_3188.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  140.2 KB

My son Jasper is modeling it for you.
    Name:  IMG_3195.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  69.2 KB

I was taking a pic of this and Jean-Luc didn't want to be left out so he is modeling this one.
    Name:  IMG_3191.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  63.5 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw