FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Newbie Migweld 140 questions

Newbie Migweld 140 questions

Hi folks,
    I just got my first MIG machine -- the Migweld140 and had a few questions....

1. It came with a spool of .6 mm which, if do the math, is .0236 inches. Is this .023 mig wire or, as the manual states, .025" mig wire? I have a spool of Lincoln .025" and it's slightly thicker than what came with the Longevity 140. If it is .023 the reference chart doesn't have any specs on using .023 mig wire so I assume it's ok and just dial down a little from the .025" reference?

2. I also have a spool of solid steel .035 wire. There aren't any suggested settings for using .035 SOLID (just flux) with the 140. I ran a few beads and it was fine with this wire and C25 gas but is this a problem for the machine? Should I only use a max of .030 solid wire with C25 and if I need to work on thicker material use .035" flux core with the 140?

Thanks!
    Mark

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
    Does your manual tell you what size drive rollers you have. Usually they are specific to a wire size. Often the drive rollers are reversible allowing for two different wire sizes and should be marked on each side of the drive roll. You should be able to use the .035 solid, being flux cored probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Keep in mind though, I'm fairly new to MIG so I could be all wrong.
    Dan
    Last edited by Gadget; 01-01-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    I found the .035 solid to be a little too heavy for this machine...

My 2 cents worth!
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

35 solid wire doesn't work well on any 110v mig welder.
    .023 and .025 is the same. Lincoln calls it 25, but it's really not. There are only 23, 30 and 35.

Edit: In another note, the mig 140 is a SOLID machine. It really works well and the spool gun is pretty nice too.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

Why doesn't .35 workwell? What do you look for. I didn't see any problems with it
    Jesse J Thompson Mig weld 140

.035 wire is for welding thicker material, which is likely beyond the capability of a 140 amp 110 volt machine. From what I've read it's possible to get a weld that looks good but is not providing the penetration that defines a "good" weld.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

I just happened to run across an example of a 110v MIG weld on 1/2" steel: it's in this video
    http://welding-tv.com/2014/03/11/702...-welding-rods/

The heat input from the stick electrode caused the steel to bend, and the MIG weld popped loose. The MIG weld looked good enough but the 110v MIG welder didn't have enough scrote to penetrate. You can see all that toward the end of the video.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

Welcome to the forum Mark.