FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Longevity PRO MTS 200i vs Fabricator 181i/Cigweld Transmig 200i

Longevity PRO MTS 200i vs Fabricator 181i/Cigweld Transmig 200i

Hi guys,

I have been looking around for a multiprocess welder to use personally and was leaning towards the Cigweld Transmig 200i. I was using Tweco Robotics products before, and they were quite good, though the machines I worked on were a mixup of Lincoln, Miller, Tweco, Weldman and a host of other brands cobbled and made to work together. I thought that Cigweld, being part of the Victor/Thermadyne group, should be pretty decent. A little bit of poking around in the internet led me to the Longevity PRO MTS 200i. I can't help but notice the similarities between the units, one guy from another forum event went as far as suggesting the the Fabricator 181i (Transmig 200i's brother from another mother), might have come from the same factory. From that same forum, it was announced by Simon that there would be comparison between the Fabricator 181i and the PRO MTS 200i. That was September of last year. I cannot seem to find any at all.
    I found out and got interested in the Longevity brand of products because of the good reviews about the machines and the support. Considering my location, I will not hope much in the way of customer support, but I would still like to see how the Longevity PRO MTS 200i compares/differs with the Cigweld Transmig 200i. If any forum members have anything to share regarding these two machines, please do share them. I was bent on the Cigweld at first, and then I saw the Longevity unit and the happy customers's reviews. Now I am not sure which one to get... It would be nice if Longevity coul finally come up with that video comparison, but this time with the Cigweld unit.

Images
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
    Where are you located? Longevity supports their machines quite well in the lower 48.
    I just won the last contest and went with the ProMTS and the spool gun, it arrived a few days ago. I just make a pigtail to fit my receptacle today and powered it up but that's as far as I got. I have to get wire and some C25. I do plan on getting some aluminum wire tomorrow and using the argon I have. I haven't MIG welded since the early 70's and even then it was just production line welding. The setup was already done for me, I just laid beads. We did make rate and a half most days though, hard work but very satisfying and profitable. (two man teams, lots of sandy eyes till you got to know your partner's moves)
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200
    Longevity WeldPro LS200PI (IGBT)
    Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw, O/A torch

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadget For This Useful Post:

deanorbs (08-14-2013)

Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    Images
    Thanks
    Been playing with the PROMTS for a little while now.

Getting to really like the machine! It is nice having all 3 functions in one box. I was not sure at first but other than one fitting on the front of the machine (that was fixed promptly) no complaints!

Little learning curve on the setup but a good solid machine in my opinion!
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

Hello guys, I'm really not a pro at welding, but for some years I used some sort of a semi-automated machine for the application of hardbanding/hardfacing on drill pipes, drill collars and other tubulars used in the oil drilling industry. I don't live in the States, I'm from the Philippines but I'm in Angola right now doing inspection jobs on oil drilling tools and equipment. My problem is that right now, I'm really on the fence between these two machines. I intend to use the machine for home projects when I'm on vacation and I would like to know if the ProMTS 200i has distinct advantages over the Transmig 200i. If so, would these advantages be worth the extra time and effort needed in importing the machine over to the Philippines. Also, I'm not so confident that the vaunted customer support services would reach that far.

Thanks
    I haven't used any of these yet, but would love to. I can tell you that the support here is great. They take care of their customers.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

Images
    Thanks
    the promts 200 is a solid machine in a small package
    Syncrowave 250
    TigWeld 250
    PowerArc 140 ST
    Victor oxy/acetylene/Propane
    Smith Gas mixer argon/Helium Argon/Co2
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list

www.longevity-inc.com LONGEVITY's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deanorbs View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been looking around for a multiprocess welder to use personally and was leaning towards the Cigweld Transmig 200i. I was using Tweco Robotics products before, and they were quite good, though the machines I worked on were a mixup of Lincoln, Miller, Tweco, Weldman and a host of other brands cobbled and made to work together. I thought that Cigweld, being part of the Victor/Thermadyne group, should be pretty decent. A little bit of poking around in the internet led me to the Longevity PRO MTS 200i. I can't help but notice the similarities between the units, one guy from another forum event went as far as suggesting the the Fabricator 181i (Transmig 200i's brother from another mother), might have come from the same factory. From that same forum, it was announced by Simon that there would be comparison between the Fabricator 181i and the PRO MTS 200i. That was September of last year. I cannot seem to find any at all.
    I found out and got interested in the Longevity brand of products because of the good reviews about the machines and the support. Considering my location, I will not hope much in the way of customer support, but I would still like to see how the Longevity PRO MTS 200i compares/differs with the Cigweld Transmig 200i. If any forum members have anything to share regarding these two machines, please do share them. I was bent on the Cigweld at first, and then I saw the Longevity unit and the happy customers's reviews. Now I am not sure which one to get... It would be nice if Longevity coul finally come up with that video comparison, but this time with the Cigweld unit.
    The CIGWELD units are exclusively sold in Australia. However, we do have a Fabricator 181i here in our warehouse and hope to do a video starting this fall on comparing the two. Our video guys have been too busy to come out and film as of late, and we are hoping that changes in the fall or we find someone new to do videos. I believe Victor owns Cigweld but they are in the AU area. Thermal Arc is in the USA and abroad as well.

Those videos are coming though!
    Last edited by LONGEVITY; 08-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Cigweld is in the Asia Pacific region, not just Australia though they have most of their market there. Yup, Thermal Arc, Cigweld, Tweco, Victor, Thermadyne, Thermal Dynamics... they are all under one company. Looking forward to the video

Thanks
    Yeah, me too, just can't wait to see Longevity Pro MTS head to head with the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i and with the Cigweld Transmig 200i. Though I have seen videos of the two latter welders being used and seems really very well made, though of course they are both from the same company/manufacturer. I've seen also the video of Kevin un boxing his new Promts weld machine and still waiting/looking for his demo video. Has he made one already ??

By the way Cigweld weldskill weld machines and the Transmig machines have reached our shores early this year, seen them in some industrial shops and in some on line shopping outlets, Hmmmm kinda interesting too.
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH
    Assorted clamps and vises : PETERSEN, STANLEY Pro, TRAMONTINA Master
    Assorted PPEs : 3M, ESAB, TILMAN, BSX
    -----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG and a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Hi guys, I haven't been back here for some time now. Anyway, I was about to get myself that Cigweld when my eyes wandered over to the other tools that the shop had to offer. I ended up buying a lot of other stuff (which I told myself that I needed ) and a cheap ass mig that does flux-cored only, it did OK once I got the hang of it. Although now I am telling myself that i really should save up this time and get myself a good quality one, one that I hope to own for a very long time.