FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use a TIG Finger?

Anybody use a TIG Finger?

Or something else? I heard of soldering cloth, but no hardware stores (in Sacramento) that I have called or visited have it or have even heard of it? If you use the TIG Finger how do you like it? Does it slide along nicely on the work table? How many do you use? Seems like you cold make one relatively simply out of high quality pot holder material. My wife is an excellent quilter and seamstress, so it is just a matter of getting the right material to make the thing. Anyway, just wondering.

No need. Good for some stuff, but I think I used mine maybe once. Don't bother with it just yet. It works great for pipe, but on flat metal no need. IMO
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    No need. Good for some stuff, but I think I used mine maybe once. Don't bother with it just yet. It works great for pipe, but on flat metal no need. IMO
    I needed mine the other day. I was trying out my new CK17 torch from HTP, and was gripping it like a pencil just behind the head, and practicing on some 3/16" bar stock, wearing the thin Longevity gloves. Didn't take long for my finger to get hot.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

Quote Originally Posted by sportpilot View Post
    Or something else? I heard of soldering cloth, but no hardware stores (in Sacramento) that I have called or visited have it or have even heard of it? If you use the TIG Finger how do you like it? Does it slide along nicely on the work table? How many do you use? Seems like you cold make one relatively simply out of high quality pot holder material. My wife is an excellent quilter and seamstress, so it is just a matter of getting the right material to make the thing. Anyway, just wondering.
    My wife sews and quilts also, but I decided it was cheap enough to buy a couple.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I needed mine the other day. I was trying out my new CK17 torch from HTP, and was gripping it like a pencil just behind the head, and practicing on some 3/16" bar stock, wearing the thin Longevity gloves. Didn't take long for my finger to get hot.
    That's how I hold mine. Since I started doing it that way I can't go back to any other torch larger than a 9.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

^ same kind of sucks because the 9 can get pretty hot when welding at a little higher amps.

Normally I could plug in the 26 it came with but its now so foreign to me I can't use it lol...

The 26 is way to big for me to easily handle. I definitely need a smaller torch. Leaning toward a 9 as my projects are small, and do not require long periods of welding - at least for now.

ive heard a 17 with a stubby gas lens isnt bad either, or a wp20 watercooled! =D

I use mine whenever I want to steady myself on the work where its hot. It works quite well, its worth the price.
    cm2
    256pi [TIG/STICK/PLASMA]
    Drill Press
    grinders
    Hand tools

I just got one the other day, but for some reason I'm finding it awkward to use - most likely because I'm new to TIG, and maybe because of the big torch that came with my 200sx. But even if I don't use it a lot I figure it's worth the price, considering all the videos and advice available for free on weldingtipsandtricks.com. Anyone who goes to all that work for the benefit of others deserves support, IMHO.