FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Tigweld 200EX in stick mode

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    373

    Tigweld 200EX in stick mode

    I have been welding since 1970, but the 200EX is the first machine I have used with Hot Start, Arc Force, and Arc Length. I Googled, but didn't find anything to give me an idea where to set these parameters.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

    Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I have been welding since 1970, but the 200EX is the first machine I have used with Hot Start, Arc Force, and Arc Length. I Googled, but didn't find anything to give me an idea where to set these parameters.
    Hi Alan,

    Scott did a few videos with the settings on the hot start and the anti-stick. It depends on the rod and thickness of the rod. General rule to start is about 1/3 of the way. If you feel the rod is not striking quickly, turn up the hot start and arc force.
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kevin Caron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    Posts
    333
    Just did some stick with 1/8 inch 7018 on railroad spikes.

    The setting I found best for me were

    AC freq. 100, AC balance. 22, arc force 4, hot start 10, arc length 9. Weld current 155hName:  IMG_20130528_101453.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  78.8 KB
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

  4. #4
    Kevin, why not DC for stick? I can't stand AC stick welding, but to be fair I haven't tried AC on the 200ex in stick mode.
    It does still beautifully in DC though.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Thermal Arc 186

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Kevin, why not DC for stick? I can't stand AC stick welding, but to be fair I haven't tried AC on the 200ex in stick mode.
    It does still beautifully in DC though.
    If I use the 200EX for stick, it is usually in CD, but I had to weld some 1/2" plate to 2" pipe the other day, and I used my ancient Miller 88 AC machine. The 200EX does start better in AC than the old transformer.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

    Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by LONGEVITY View Post
    Hi Alan,

    Scott did a few videos with the settings on the hot start and the anti-stick. It depends on the rod and thickness of the rod. General rule to start is about 1/3 of the way. If you feel the rod is not striking quickly, turn up the hot start and arc force.
    Thanks, I'll look for them.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

    Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kevin Caron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    Posts
    333
    Somehow I wound up with a 5 lb. box of 1/8 inch 7018ac. Used it for a rusty sculpture and once I turned the amps up enough it just welded so nice. Been using A/C ever since. Even found out that with the TigWeld 250 AC/DC I could use the foot pedal in stick mode and weld like TIG with it. Sort of,,,,

    Course then I turned on the pulse just for the heck of it.... it worked also!!!
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caron View Post
    Somehow I wound up with a 5 lb. box of 1/8 inch 7018ac. Used it for a rusty sculpture and once I turned the amps up enough it just welded so nice. Been using A/C ever since. Even found out that with the TigWeld 250 AC/DC I could use the foot pedal in stick mode and weld like TIG with it. Sort of,,,,

    Course then I turned on the pulse just for the heck of it.... it worked also!!!
    Back in the day, AC was the preferred method. I have to say that on my old PowCon 200MS and on the Longevity inverters, DC is so easy to start and run.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

    Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kevin Caron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    Posts
    333
    Got more to go on this piece, have to give it a try.
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caron View Post
    Somehow I wound up with a 5 lb. box of 1/8 inch 7018ac. Used it for a rusty sculpture and once I turned the amps up enough it just welded so nice. Been using A/C ever since. Even found out that with the TigWeld 250 AC/DC I could use the foot pedal in stick mode and weld like TIG with it. Sort of,,,,

    Course then I turned on the pulse just for the heck of it.... it worked also!!!
    Old thread, but it brings up a question I have had since I got the 200EX. In AC Stick mode, does it matter whether you connect the stinger to the + or - connection? I have always plugged it in the- where the tig torch goes.
    Last edited by Cope; 06-07-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

    Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •