FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Ext. cord for mig. welder

Ext. cord for mig. welder

I have a lincoln 180c 220 volt, I would like to make up a 30ft. ext. cord.what gauge should I use?

Re: Ext. cord for mig. welder

What is the Voltage and amperage of the welder?

keith
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

I use a 50' extension cord (10ga) 10/3. I cut the ends off and added my own 220's. Now I can plug in at the dryer and move all over the garage. I haven't noticed any power limitations using the extension.
    Smitty -- Western PA, USA
    Hobart HH-187
    Longevity LP-40D Plasma
    My '66 FJ-40 Build Thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/pa-appalachian- ... -fj40.html
    Appalachian Land Cruiser Assoc (ALCA)

10 gauge is good for up to 30 amps input. I suggest a minimum of 8 gauge thhn.

Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Assume;
    output: 180 anp output @ 25 volt = 4500 watts
    duty cycle 80%
    input: x amp @ 220vac = 4500 watts x = 20.45 amp
    I think that 10/3 wire will work with out heating up the wire.
    With out the exact spects from the welder the calculations are assumptions!

From the Lincolin web site;
    180C welder
    output: 130 amp @ 17 volt = 2210 watts
    130 amp @ 20 volt = 2600 watts
    duty cyclr 30%
    input: x amp @ 240vac =2600 watts x = 10.8 amp
    12/3 wire is sufficent

keith
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Hi guys,when I ran my hobart 180 mig I had a 50foot run to my garage.I used 8gauge,3wire underground "romex" I then ran the wire thru electric pvc,cemented joints and put it about 1' deep. now all I do is unplug my dryer and plug in my welders,I've checked voltage and get 230v at garage plug. also I had a 50amp breaker put in. everything works great,I' single so dryer only gets used a couple of times a month Seabee

Hobart 180 mig
    LS200p
    2 grinders,buffer
    oxy acet torch
    varies other toys including an harley ultra classic

I have a 3o foot 12/3 and a 65 foot 10/3 that have worked good with the MMA 140 I have and the EV416-D. I have maxed out both of them and seemed to have sufficient power.

[quote="seabee"]Hi guys,when I ran my hobart 180 mig I had a 50foot run to my garage.I used 8gauge,3wire underground "romex" I then ran the wire thru electric pvc,cemented joints and put it about 1' deep/quote]

That's actually pretty bad form.
    For one thing, if your garage already has a power feed (say for lights), then you are providing a second power feed into that building. Big no-no.
    What should be done, is to wire a 50A (or larger) feed to the garage, cut out the old wiring, add a breaker panel at the garage end of the feed, and have the welder and everything else in the garage run off that panel.

PVC is a good choice for underground, as it doesn't corrode like metal conduit, BUT between 18" underground and 8' up, it is supposed to be sch80. Sch40 PVC is supposed to be buried more than 18" under dirt, but you can go shallower under concrete.

Anyway, you're not supposed to put romex in conduit. It -can- be sheathed for up to 2' for protection, but your UF "romex" should be directly buried. If you already ran conduit, then it should be filled with THHW wire (an cheaper alternative to UF).
    Also, the UF wire in 8 gauge only has an ampacity of 40A because it needs to be derated for 60C service. THHW/THHN in conduit would provide enough ampacity for your 50A service though.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX + Weldcraft 17FV GTAW Torch + Speedglas 9000xi
    Miller AEAD-200LE
    Matco 20/40 Plasma &Snap On YA2225 Plasma
    Craftsman 60 gallon compressor
    Metabo 4.5" angle grinder & Dynabrade 6" RO sanders
    Victor 100FC and 315FC torches with Craftsman (Harris) dual stage regulators & Smith Little Torch
    Tillman 24CL and 850 gloves
    Atlas & Craftsman drill presses, South Bend lathe, Central Machinery Mill/Drill

Basically all I did was make an extension cord and ran it this way to my garage so people wouldn't keep running over it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabee View Post
    Basically all I did was make an extension cord and ran it this way to my garage so people wouldn't keep running over it.
    But when you put it in conduit, you violated code. The Romex can build up too much eat in conduit.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX