FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Torch options for 200sx?

Torch options for 200sx?

Hello, there seems to be quite a few people with a 200sx machine around. So my question is, have any of you adapted another style torch to this machine yet? I hear rumor of some sort of adapter but i haven't seen it myself..

Basically im really itching to get a WP-9 or a WP-17 style torch on this machine so i can reach into some tighter spaces and hopefully maneuver the torch a little better. I want to start building exhaust/intake manifolds, along with some other car-fab stuff.

I'm fairly new to tig and any help is appreciated, Here is a project i am currently working on.

A little bulky on the torch and this isn't even a very small space

See the kind of tight spaces i have to work with? =(

Hi and welcome to the forum. That's quite a project you have going. I wonder if you could break the tacks at each end of the pipe after fitting to get access to more welding area, then re-weld the pipes back afterwards. A bit of planning on the location of the breaks would allow the final welding to be done in a more open part of the pipe.

Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

That is an impressive project. But please strap that cylinder to the table leg!
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

clean your stainless before welding
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

I will for sure brush and clean the stainless prior to welding, i am going to get a gas lens also before i attempt to do that actual welding. I was looking into a jumbo pyrex cup/gas lens, but i want to make sure i know which torch ill be using so i dont waste money buying it for this torch and replacing it shortly after.

To make the welding easier,i am going to tack it all together and remove the entire tube from the 1st and 3rd cylinder ( or 4th and 5th ) weld them together separately that will give plenty of clearance ( i hope ) to weld the the others still on the manifold, then ill just have to weld the tubes to that head flange and the collector. But i would love to get a 9 or 17 style torch on this welder because its much more comfortable for me.

I also called a few days ago and spoke to Daniel, he was supposed to email me of a known working adapter, but i never recieved the email. No big deal their customer service was been excellent so far, so i will just call back on Monday and ask again!

Quote Originally Posted by compression View Post
    I also called a few days ago and spoke to Daniel, he was supposed to email me of a known working adapter, but i never recieved the email. No big deal their customer service was been excellent so far, so i will just call back on Monday and ask again!
    I am supposed to get my 200sx on Tuesday. Since I never leave anything "stock", I'm sure if there isn't a standard adapter, I'm make one. FWIW, I couldn't stand to be forced to have both hands on the mig torch, or being confined by the size/shape of the gun. I got rid of the clunky handle, shaft and trigger, and made a mini pencil type torch with a remote switch so I don't need to hold the torch and prop with the other hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

you do not need any fancy cup You are not welding titanium just get a Normal gas lens with a #6 cup
    really the speciallity cup are for special applications IIRC Ti
    I weld on High Ni and stainless all day long for the US Govt and all i use is a standard Gas Lens with #6 cup unless i am welding on Ti that is all that is ever on the end of my torch
    my stuff has to pass Xray
    I would look into a 17 with a stubby kit IIRC 20 consumables if you are staying gas cooled
    or a wp 20 water cooled and call it a day if you dont have a cooler just use tap water and drain in yard
    the wp26 and 18 have there place but not for what you are doing big and bulky
    the wp9 will also work up to 150 amps depending on who makes it IIRC CK
    btw the 17 and 9 share the same power cable so you can switch out just the head and use either torch body on the same power cable

once you figure out your machine side delema there are some of the options
    Last edited by WookieWelding; 03-31-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/

Quote Originally Posted by compression View Post
    I will for sure brush and clean the stainless prior to welding, i am going to get a gas lens also before i attempt to do that actual welding. I was looking into a jumbo pyrex cup/gas lens, but i want to make sure i know which torch ill be using so i dont waste money buying it for this torch and replacing it shortly after.

To make the welding easier,i am going to tack it all together and remove the entire tube from the 1st and 3rd cylinder ( or 4th and 5th ) weld them together separately that will give plenty of clearance ( i hope ) to weld the the others still on the manifold, then ill just have to weld the tubes to that head flange and the collector. But i would love to get a 9 or 17 style torch on this welder because its much more comfortable for me.
    wipe those cast elbows down with denatured alcohol the get the junk off of them then wire brush
    you will be surprised how much junk comes off
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/

Quote Originally Posted by WookieWelding View Post
    you do not need any fancy cup You are not welding titanium just get a Normal gas lens with a #6 cup
    really the speciallity cup are for special applications IIRC Ti
    I weld on High Ni and stainless all day long for the US Govt and all i use is a standard Gas Lens with #6 cup unless i am welding on Ti that is all that is ever on the end of my torch
    my stuff has to pass Xray
    I would look into a 17 with a stubby kit IIRC 20 consumables if you are staying gas cooled
    or a wp 20 water cooled and call it a day if you dont have a cooler just use tap water and drain in yard
    the wp26 and 18 have there place but not for what you are doing big and bulky
    the wp9 will also work up to 150 amps depending on who makes it IIRC CK
    btw the 17 and 9 share the same power cable so you can switch out just the head and use either torch body on the same power cable

once you figure out your machine side delema there are some of the options
    Wow you can run a water cooler torch like that? Nice! Could I just rig up an electric water pump with and old used radiator/fan?