FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Goodmorning everyone!!

So, this is my latest mini-project:

Recently, I wished I had a way to tack things to the "inside" of my table... Too far from the edges to conventionally clamp them... And this is what I came up with...

I bought a BESSEY 8" C clamp from the local lowes, spark tested it to determine it was malleable iron, and then cut if off and simply 7018'd it to a couple scraps of mild steel plate, which I can tack anywhere I need to...

Anyway, the clamp welded very well... It was my first time welding malleable cast iron, and first time welding dissimilar metals...

And I got another tool for the shop... I'm pretty happy with how it came out

Just thought I'd share... I'm probably not the first one to come up with this idea... Hope you guys enjoy the video, and have an awesome weekend everyone

I like it! I guess I will be building me a couple of them. Way to go ChuckE
    Steve
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Lincoln Ranger250
    Longevity TigWeld 200DX

Good idea, I'll probably wind up with a couple of them too.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Great idea. You've got another person who's going to make one.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

hahaha, cool idea Lanse !! I guess I'll be making too a couple of those clamps,

Thanks for sharing your cool ideas here man !
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Haha, glad y'all like this little project!! It was fun to make... Thanks for watching

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckE2009 View Post
    Goodmorning everyone!!

Recently, I wished I had a way to tack things to the "inside" of my table... Too far from the edges to conventionally clamp them... And this is what I came up with...

I bought a BESSEY 8" C clamp from the local lowes, spark tested it to determine it was malleable iron, and then cut if off and simply 7018'd it to a couple scraps of mild steel plate, which I can tack anywhere I need to...

Anyway, the clamp welded very well... It was my first time welding malleable cast iron, and first time welding dissimilar metals...

Just thought I'd share... I'm probably not the first one to come up with this idea... Hope you guys enjoy the video, and have an awesome weekend everyone

i really like this video awesome and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckE2009 View Post
    Goodmorning everyone!!

video is really nice and helpful because it shows the desired steps for welding steel to cast iron