FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 120/208 dryer circuit for the 160sx

I appreciate it. I'm not really in a rush as I have family in town but by next weekend I want to get welding. What does an Argon fill go for in the mainland in the tanks that are knee high?

Quote Originally Posted by Exidous View Post
    That's what I figured. My only concern is whether it can take the "patched" single phase by using the two hot legs to produce the 208V. Also note that the phases in my house are NOT 180* out. They are 120* out so I can only get 208 from the two 120 legs.

If it can take the 208 as it's within the +/- 15% how should I wire the plug up?
    Not following the 180/120 out you are talking about?? Your house should be single phase 220 coming in.. (208,220,230,240) same thing.. Voltage will vary.. But I guess what im trying to understand is that you dont have 220 in your garage?? Just 120?? Are you trying to make 220 out of your 120 in your garage?? Might just be me not reading you right..
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

Most housing in the US has two phase coming in. Both legs of each phase are 120v. When the two phases are 180* out of phase and the legs are combined you get 240v. When they are 120* out of phase like using two legs from a three phase source you get 208V. The power plug in the house is oldish, using two hot legs and a neutral. The newer homes are two hots, neutral and a ground. My question is whether the 160sx can use the two hot and a neutral. I looked inside the case and it is definitely wired for single phase (hot,neutral,ground). Reason I ask is that I don't have any other sources that can handle the amperage.

You will need 2 hots and a ground. No need for the Neutral connection on this machine. I would recommend that you do not try to use the neutral wire in this connection as a ground. This is because the neutral is actually a current carrying wire, so other devices on the circuit can result in your welder becoming a shock hazard. I beleive the wiring colors used for the power cable on your welder are black/white/green. The black and white will each be connected to a hot leg of electrical service, and the green needs to be connected to your electrical service ground.
    Longevity 256pi
    Lincoln 3200DX mig
    Smithy 1220 (mill/lathe/drillpress)
    Homemade CNC plasma table (36" x 48" working dimensions)
    Blast cabinet
    Powder coating setup
    5 Hp compressor

Thank you for the info. It's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't going to tie the ground to neural but rather a ground somewhere else. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Exidous View Post
    Thank you for the info. It's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't going to tie the ground to neural but rather a ground somewhere else. Thanks so much!

Hearing you say "Tieing it in somewhere else" kind of scares me. It needs to be a wire running from your outlet back to the breaker panel ground bus bar (sized appropriately for the circuit it is serving). Remember, the ground is your last line of defense. Should a wire come loose in your welder, this one wire may save you from electrocution.

I would highly recommend rewiring the outlet in question so that it contains 2 hots + Neutral + ground. Then change the plug on your dryer if you are planning for dual use of the outlet. Your dryer will need the Neutral as it is a dual voltage appliance. Is this circuit wired in conduit or NM cable? If conduit, you could just pull one more wire and be done.

As for your question about Argon pricing, I am assuming you are talking about a 40CF tank. The LWS i use, charges about $35 for a fill. I upgraded to a 125cf tank and now pay around $50 for the fill. $0.875/cf for the 40, $0.40/cf for the 125. Major cost savings, plus fewer trips to the LWS.
    Longevity 256pi
    Lincoln 3200DX mig
    Blast cabinet
    Powder coating setup
    5 Hp compressor

This has got to be the scariest thread I've read in a while. If in doubt, consult a qualified electrician who can actually see what is going on and what you plan to do. Maybe I'm being paranoid but power from the wall is not something to be guessing about.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

I've wired homes in the past. While not a master electrician I didn't mean I was going to tie it to a pipe. As the dryer has no provision for a ground my only option was the breaker panel.
    The original purpose of the thread was to make sure the machine would accept two hots rather than hot/neutral. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure. . The line is conduit but its pretty far from the panel.

Exidous,
    Since the run is in conduit, have a ground wire installed. It shouldn't take an electrician more than a couple of hours to complete. It probably makes sense to bring someone in to look at this and provide a quote.

undercut,
    I agree that guessing about electricity can lead to major problems, or worse. I was only trying to answer his question and make sure he didn't do some "tricks" i have seen mentioned elsewhere on the internet. (Neutral wire as ground, or other unacceptable means of providing a ground)
    Longevity 256pi
    Lincoln 3200DX mig
    Blast cabinet
    Powder coating setup
    5 Hp compressor

I agree entirely.