FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 120/208 dryer circuit for the 160sx

120/208 dryer circuit for the 160sx

I am wanting to know if the 208 jump across two hots will work for the 160sx. It's all that I have for the house as most do and I just want to know if it will work before I cut the pigtail that came with the welder. A little direction on how to wire it up would be nice as well.

Thank you,

Pat

Hi and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.

Did you actually measure the voltage across the hots? Most residential circuits in the US will measure 220-240 across the two hots from the power line. How many amps are available on the dryer circuit? Also, I would make a pigtail adapter rather than cut the cord on the welder.

Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Welcome to the forum pat.
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

i am with gadget make up a dryer plug pigtail to the welder plug
    assuming that you are plugging it into you dryer plug in the garage
    if not install the right plug and plug it in
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

Welcome to the forum Pat. Yes, making a pigtail would be a much better alternative.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Welcome to the forum Pat. Yes, making a pigtail would be a much better alternative.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I have no intention of cutting the power cable on the machine itself but it did come with a short 1ft pigtail that adapts the machine plug to a 120v 15A plug. I have plenty of those laying around but the site lists 37A and I just don't see how to pigtail would be useful unless I was welding some really thin material. This is why I was thinking about cutting off the 120/15 plug and putting the dryer plug on it.

I measured the dryer plug at 117VAC from hot to ground and ~208VAC hot to hot. The circuit is 30A.

The dryer lists 120/208 @ 24 amps which makes sense. I work with generators at work from time to time and whenever I combine two 120 legs I always get 208 out. My only confusion is how is the 160 sx wired? Is it single phase only? Can it plug straight into the dryer outlet just like the dryer does?

Again folks thanks for the help.

Double post?
    Last edited by Exidous; 01-20-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Longevity only makes a few machines that are 3 phase and they are clearly marked so I would guess yours is strictly single phase. It should plug into the dryer outlet without issues in my opinion.

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

That's what I figured. My only concern is whether it can take the "patched" single phase by using the two hot legs to produce the 208V. Also note that the phases in my house are NOT 180* out. They are 120* out so I can only get 208 from the two 120 legs.

If it can take the 208 as it's within the +/- 15% how should I wire the plug up?

Rather than guess and be wrong, I sent an email to Longevity sales and support for them to respond. Hopefully Simon will see it today but if not you should have an answer tomorrow.

Atlas 10x36" lathe