FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How dark should it be?

My advice is definitely get another helmet so that you can compare the view. You'll never really know if the helmet is working as it should expect otherwise.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

when I was using a single shade helmet I always used one of the cheap harbor freight non-florescent floodlight.. Also if your holding your head too far away a magnifier can help you get focused better

Honestly if the single shade helmet was given to you, use it, save your money and get a bit better helmet..

The brand of helmet you have is good, probably one of the best brands on the market, but the model you have is their low budget starter helmet.. there are much better helmets for a little more money..

I hope to not make anyone mad by posting different brands of helmet..
    Hobarts xvs looks like a good priced,good quality helmet and you can get them for like $115 (plain black model). I've looked at one in the store and thought about selling my speedglas 9000x, and putting a little in my pocket, and that would get me back into new equipment, but I think I might go ahead and keep my speedglas for now...

The Htp striker stealth csv helmet has my attention, It looks good, light and reasonably priced, the specs on this helmet look as well as anything else on the market, even helmets 2 or 3 times the price. I would love to check one out in person..

Thermal Arcs claret helmets look nice, but they are a little higher up the price scale..

The things I like about my Speedglas is the weight and head gear... I can put it on and actually forget im wearing it..
    Last edited by brucer; 01-25-2013 at 04:05 AM.

1972 Bridgeport Mill
    Thermal Arc 211i
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Buffalo 4x6 Horizontal Band Saw
    Craftsman Benchtop Drillpress
    Craftsman Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander Combo
    Crafstman Vertical Band Saw

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    Honestly if the single shade helmet was given to you, use it, save your money and get a bit better helmet..

The brand of helmet you have is good, probably one of the best brands on the market, but the model you have is their low budget starter helmet.. there are much better helmets for a little more money..

I don't think anybody will get mad, we all have our own preferences or choice of helmets to use which ever fits our needs. There are lots of models to choose from in the market now a days. Good advice there friends, save up a little more money and get a new one and choose wisely, hehehe, our eyes are more expensive than these known branded helmets.
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    when I was using a single shade helmet I always used one of the cheap harbor freight non-florescent floodlight.. Also if your holding your head too far away a magnifier can help you get focused better

Hobarts xvs looks like a good priced,good quality helmet and you can get them for like $115 (plain black model). I've looked at one in the store and thought about selling my speedglas 9000x, and putting a little in my pocket, and that would get me back into new equipment, but I think I might go ahead and keep my speedglas for now...

The Htp striker stealth csv helmet has my attention, It looks good, light and reasonably priced, the specs on this helmet look as well as anything else on the market, even helmets 2 or 3 times the price. I would love to check one out in person..

Thermal Arcs claret helmets look nice, but they are a little higher up the price scale..

The things I like about my Speedglas is the weight and head gear... I can put it on and actually forget im wearing it..
    Thanks for all of the comments. I don't have the ability to try out a bunch of helmets so I can only go by what others have to say about the ones they have tried.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?