FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video)

Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video)

Hey y'all, hope everyone's having a sweet weekend

Anyway, I decided a while back that I really wanted to buy a nice 1/2" Impact. I used to have a cheapie, and broke it a few years back, and I didnt have money to replace it, but I always wanted to... And then recently after a few "Man, I wish I had a good Impact right about now" moments, and some christmas money, I decided it was time.

I looked around online and found a bunch of good reviews for the 231 231g and 231c so I figured "Why not?". Some "real" mechanics say there are better guns out there for anyone who uses them 8+ hours a day, but for the couple times a month I plan to run this thing, I figured it was exactly what I was looking for.

I came across a set on Lowe's website that looked very promising, it had a 231g and a nice 3/8" drive air ratchet for $150.

One late-night trip to the "local" store, and we were in business

Ingersol-Rand 231 Impact Wrench Unboxing and First Use - YouTube

Brought the set home and got it setup:

Wow, that thing is SWEET!! Has a VERY solid and well built feel, it's easy to adjust once you get used to that weird switch, and it has a ton of power.

We wanted to put it to the test, so we took out our aggressions on some poor, innocent looking hardware. It snapped a grade 8 bolt with a 9/16" head, and tore the threads off a 15/16" bolt I had laying around.

It has no shortage of power, and even sounds awesome when you're running it. While I was at it, I picked up a nice set of Kobalt Impact sockets, which I'm also very pleased with. Sure they're Taiwanese, but Kobalt hand tools are by far the best Imported hand tools I've ever used.

I'm sure it'll be in a LOT of videos to come. What made me decide to get it right when we did, was that I had to remove the bumper from my Silverado. It was held on by 8 bolts, and 4 of them were almost impossible to reach, and completly impossible to remove with hand tools, they're in a tight space and you just can't get the leverage you need to twist them loose.

The Ingersol Rand had them off in no time.

I even like the little ratchet that came with the set.

The main body is a little on the "plasticky" side for my taste, but it looks pretty useful and even tho it only claims to put out 50 foot pounds of torque, neither Wes nor Myself could stall it with our hands. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from that, as well.

What don't I like?

Really, my only complaint is the case. Its a cheezy plastic case from the beginning, and whoever designed it didnt feel the need to leave space for air fittings.

Thus, if you want it to close, you have to take the quick-connects off your tools

Anyway, I'm pretty thrilled with my new toy. It's everything I hoped it would be

Well, have a great 2013, everyone :waving:

Good video as always. IR is a decent brand of air tool, i have a couple of them and have had them for years.
    Guy

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Millermatic Challenger Mig
    Century 230/140 amp AC/DC Stick
    DeVilbiss 6Hp 60Gal.
    HF Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    HF 6in. Belt 9in. Disc Sander
    HF pipe bender
    HF tubing roller
    Springfield machine tool co. 14X40 lathe

I have several IR air tools and love them.. Never had any problems with them 1/2'' Impact, 1'' Impact (Big Daddy) and two 1/4'' Air Ratchets..
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

Hey Lanse, what were the impacts that the mechanics said was better than the Ingersol Rand brand? Just in case i wanted to upgrade.
    Guy

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Millermatic Challenger Mig
    Century 230/140 amp AC/DC Stick
    DeVilbiss 6Hp 60Gal.
    HF Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    HF 6in. Belt 9in. Disc Sander
    HF pipe bender
    HF tubing roller
    Springfield machine tool co. 14X40 lathe

You guys have way too much fun.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

If time really were money, I'd be buying soooo many tools. I can't even count the number of hours I've spent making due without the proper tool. Looks like you've got a set that will last you quite a while.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?