FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Truck frame repair

Truck frame repair

I have an area on the bottom edge of frame rail that is bent down slightly and torn.
    It looks like some thing heavy was through bolted and worked it back and forth.
    The frame is 3/8 thick the area to be repaired is about 1 inch long.
    My thinking is to v out the crack reweld it and weld a simular shaped piece over it.
    Any other sugestions? How will weld heat affect area? Should I weld then hammer the weld area
    to avoid stress ..?? Witch longevity product would be best to use ..

Re: Truck frame repair

Hi RW,
    Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with frame repairs but you might get some good information from the user called huck_this. You can check out some of his work here http://http://longevity-inc.com/foru...;php?f=15&t=20 Send him a private message to get his attention, private messages usually send an email alert unless the user has turned that off in their preferences.
    As for Longevity product I am assuming you mean which plasma cutter. I have the Super 160P which has a 40A plasma cutter function. I have cut 5/8" steel nicely with it so the 40A plasma cutter would do the trick on 3/8" frame. I would say though, get the most powerful cutter you can afford and justify. More cutting power is always handy.
    I am sure Simon will offer some suggestions for the right plasma cutter for you.
    Post some of your work when you get a chance.
    Gadget
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Re: Truck frame weld

Thanks for reply. The plasmsa cutter will be nice to trim out the tear. I saw a procedure in a Ford TSB.
    some were. Probablly go at it with some 7018 stick. Dont want to get it to hot. I will post pics when I
    do the repair..

Re: Truck frame repair

Quote Originally Posted by rwiegel
    I have an area on the bottom edge of frame rail that is bent down slightly and torn.
    It looks like some thing heavy was through bolted and worked it back and forth.
    The frame is 3/8 thick the area to be repaired is about 1 inch long.
    My thinking is to v out the crack reweld it and weld a simular shaped piece over it.
    Any other sugestions? How will weld heat affect area? Should I weld then hammer the weld area
    to avoid stress ..?? Witch longevity product would be best to use ..
    If you are going to be cutting anything near 1", we recommend the LP-50D Plasma Cutter. If you are cutting more than 1", we recommend LP-60D, which is a 60amp plasma cutter.

If you are looking for the best welder for the job, we would recommend the LW-200ACDC - this will weld aluminum and is probably our most powerful tig welder.

Simon
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

This post is just to straighten out the thread index.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

When looking at a plasma cutter be sure and compare the cost to a multi process unit that can do plasma cutting as well as AC/DC TIG and stick welding. The added cost, usually just a few hundred dollars, of the multi unit can be a very good investment.

How did it turn out?
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Oxy Propane