FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frayed Pant Legs

Frayed Pant Legs

Probably nothing new but thought I would share an experience that should have never happened..
    Always make note of the condition of the legs of you pants you are wearing before doing any kind of
    cutting or welding.. Elementary Stuff I know, but im sure we are all guilty of it at times..
    I was plasma cutting some angle yesterday at home before work and I was using a tri square for a straight edge..
    The second part of the cut I cut on a pull back toward me.. Didnt take long to realize something was burning..
    LOL I looked down and my right pant leg was engulfed... The bottoms of my pants were frayed and that was all it took..
    I danced around like a mad man trying to put it out... Dang man .. Those were my comfortable pair too....
    If possible always send the sparks away from you.. Not always the case but better if ya can....

Anyway I'll post some pics (as soon as I learn how) of them to show the damage... Melted part of the side of my Justins also...
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

Welding aprons are the way to go IMHO - unless of course you have a plasma cutting table with enclosed sides. I don't look very cool when wearing my apron but I'm not exactly the most observant guy and it would probably take me a lot longer to realize I was on fire. Between you and Bluesman, you guys have got me thinking all cautious again but that's probably a good thing.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

I thought of the Apron thing too.. Well My wife did..HAHAHA She said WELL SERVES YA RIGHT..HAHA I noticed in Kevin Carons Videos that he really takes safety to the max
    as far as leathers and Aprons.. Just didnt take the time.. Thats when it sneaks up and bites ya..

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press

LOL, Very similar to Bluesman experience, doing that stanky leg dance due to sparks while using the 7018 stick rods, hahahahaha, just can't forget that !!!

Thanks for sharing another experience and thanks for the reminder on plasma use. Yeah that would be nice to share some pics, perhaps your 10 year old son can teach you how to upload pics in photobucket. LOL, HAHAHA, JUST JOKING HERE AND TRYING TO MAKE YOU LAUGH !!!
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stiltner View Post
    I thought of the Apron thing too.. Well My wife did..HAHAHA She said WELL SERVES YA RIGHT..HAHA I noticed in Kevin Carons Videos that he really takes safety to the max
    as far as leathers and Aprons.. Just didnt take the time.. Thats when it sneaks up and bites ya..
    LOL http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/s...uipment-2.html - post #11.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    LOL, Very similar to Bluesman experience, doing that stanky leg dance due to sparks while using the 7018 stick rods, hahahahaha, just can't forget that !!!

Thanks for sharing another experience and thanks for the reminder on plasma use. Yeah that would be nice to share some pics, perhaps your 10 year old son can teach you how to upload pics in photobucket. LOL, HAHAHA, JUST JOKING HERE AND TRYING TO MAKE YOU LAUGH !!!
    Thats a good one... HAHAHAHA Trying to upload some now......

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stiltner View Post
    Thats a good one... HAHAHAHA Trying to upload some now......
    Nathan, if you need any help with photos let me know. First off, you have to be in Advanced mode if you are adding photos to a reply. If you are starting your own thread you are already in advanced mode. Near the bottom of the advanced mode screen (below the area to enter type) you'll see a Manage Attachments button that should get you to the uploader. From there it's pretty simple. For the Gallery, you have to go into the Members Gallery area and upload an image, it will create a user folder for you on the first upload. All photos should be 800 x 600 for best viewing. Larger than that and the uploader will have to resize them and it occasionally will have trouble doing that with very large photos. There is a free image resizer available, a Google search will bring up several. Just be sure you really know what you are downloading (as with all downloads).

Edited after checking the Gallery moderation queue.

I see you successfully uploaded some Gallery images Nathan. Our Gallery program has a glitch that causes images to need moderation from time to time. You will get a message that you don't have permission to upload but they upload anyway but just don't show till I approve them. I try to check the queue several times a day so if the images don't appear right away you'll know why.
    Last edited by Gadget; 11-30-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Welding aprons are the way to go IMHO - unless of course you have a plasma cutting table with enclosed sides. I don't look very cool when wearing my apron but I'm not exactly the most observant guy and it would probably take me a lot longer to realize I was on fire. Between you and Bluesman, you guys have got me thinking all cautious again but that's probably a good thing.
    Yep, me too. I just from time to time find myself in too big of hurry and end up doing something stupid. LOL
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

I also have not forgotten that wire cup wheel on the dewalt grinder that I let catch the edge of the metal when I was working on my smoker grill... That dewalt dang near kilt me. Knocked the wind slap out of me, bout busted up a couple ribs, dang near broke a forearm, and left one hell of a big bruise.... Them little grinders are strong. I'm just glad it slammed backwards and down rather than forward and up cause it would have most certainly left me toothless.
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

Thanks Gadget.. I thought I done right but wasnt sure until I just logged on and saw the pics I uploaded last night in the members gallery.. Im going to try to upload to this thread next.. Might take me a while but I'll get the hang of everything on here.. Thanks again for replying with help.....

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press