FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A TRICK and some TIPS for angle grinder users !

Would be nice if an electronic brake was a standard feature on grinders. I always wait for mine to come to a complete stop which can become tiresome after a while. I guess I'll need to adopt an additional set of safety habits with a plasma cutter.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Hey, Robert, how much does that 9" grinder weigh and what do you typically use it for?

CHECKING YOUR LARGE ANGLE GRINDER :

when operating a large angle grinder, make sure to double check the disc attachment, flange, locking nut and the correct size of the grinding disc plus the protective guard.

When installing the protective guard, be very sure to tighten the bolt to the locking clamp properly and yet movable by hand. Tighten it enough that it doesn't fall off during the grinding process and yet still movable in the sense that the guard can still be rotated by hand in case a different position of grinding will be required.

Install the flange properly fitting the slot provided underneath.

Grinding disc can now be installed, make sure it fits properly so that the locking nut will also fit the diameter of the hole of the grinding disc.

And the locking nut with a part protrusion that will fit properly into the hole of the disc and will also fit the M14 stud shaft to be able to fasten the locking nut correctly.
    Ones the locking nut has been properly installed and hand tightened, a correct wrench or spanner can now securely tighten the locking nut. Remember, a loose locking nut will make the disc wobble or probably not spin at all.

ONES EVERY ATTACHMENTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED AND YOU ARE READY TO DO SOME GRINDING :

Ok before turning that switch on, do check again the unit for loose auxiliary handle, your grinding guard if it is movable, the power cord if it is frayed or not and well positioned behind the handle and away from the path where you will be grinding your metal.

Do rotate the guard a bit perhaps so that the underside of the fingers gripping the auxiliary handle are protected and not in a direct position facing the grinding wheel.

TO BE CONTINUED and THANKS FOR VIEWING !!!

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    CHECKING YOUR LARGE ANGLE GRINDER :

when operating a large angle grinder, make sure to double check the disc attachment, flange, locking nut and the correct size of the grinding disc plus the protective guard.

When installing the protective guard, be very sure to tighten the bolt to the locking clamp properly and yet movable by hand. Tighten it enough that it doesn't fall off during the grinding process and yet still movable in the sense that the guard can still be rotated by hand in case a different position of grinding will be required.

Install the flange properly fitting the slot provided underneath.

Grinding disc can now be installed, make sure it fits properly so that the locking nut will also fit the diameter of the hole of the grinding disc.

And the locking nut with a part protrusion that will fit properly into the hole of the disc and will also fit the M14 stud shaft to be able to fasten the locking nut correctly.
    Ones the locking nut has been properly installed and hand tightened, a correct wrench or spanner can now securely tighten the locking nut. Remember, a loose locking nut will make the disc wobble or probably not spin at all.

ONES EVERY ATTACHMENTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED AND YOU ARE READY TO DO SOME GRINDING :

Ok before turning that switch on, do check again the unit for loose auxiliary handle, your grinding guard if it is movable, the power cord if it is frayed or not and well positioned behind the handle and away from the path where you will be grinding your metal.

Do rotate the guard a bit perhaps so that the underside of the fingers gripping the auxiliary handle are protected and not in a direct position facing the grinding wheel.

TO BE CONTINUED and THANKS FOR VIEWING !!!
    Man your guard is clean. Mine is covered in all sorts of material ... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Hey, Robert, how much does that 9" grinder weigh and what do you typically use it for?
    The grinder weighs less than 14 lbs with the grinding or cutting disc. Haven't used it for grinding yet but more for cutting. Sort of a substitute for the 14" DeWalt chop saw which is of course much heavier to set up. If I have to cut some number of rebars or pipes or angle irons with specific sizes, its the chop saw, if its 1 or 2 pieces, its the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Man your guard is clean. Mine is covered in all sorts of material ... LOL
    Hey undercut, that is a 7" angle grinder, serves as backup for my other B&D 7" angle grinder which always see action when hard grinding is necessary, same thing with the 5" grinder. HEHEHE, that's one thing nice with having several angle grinders, they don't get abused at all. You get to choose different sizes for different task or job to be done. LOL

A chop saw would be nice. I can see how a large cutting disk on an angle grinder would make a suitable alternative.

OK, so the clean guard isn't an indication I'm being a bad angle grinder owner ....

Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    How the heck do you keep them so clean?!?!?!

Mine don't look anything like these...
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caron View Post
    How the heck do you keep them so clean?!?!?!

Mine don't look anything like these...
    I'd take a picture of mine but I'm so embarrassed after seeing how clean his is .... LOL

Roberts56 Do you always use the guards on your welders. I have found the guards are always getting in my way and I hate to have to stop and move them around if not having to remove them entirly sometimes to finsh my grinding. Do you have any tricks or thought how I can aviod having to rum em without the gaurds.
    Thermal Dynamics 211i multi purpose
    Victor O/A Torch
    HF 80 amp arc welder
    Lincoln tombstone
    Really old and I mean old welder
    Lots of clamps, grinders
    And a desire to lean all I can about welding and fabrication
    Oh forgot I have gotten to use an awsome Longevity multi purpose machine and sweet enigne drive thanks to SIC Fabrications