FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: A TRICK and some TIPS for angle grinder users !

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stiltner View Post
    Awesome info and Tips and tricks on Grinding.. Hadn't heard of the backwards first method of getting your new disk going so it will grind
    evenly.. I always just chucked one on and went to town like normal.. Thanks Man..

Well did have the same approach or style before when I was new with using angle grinders but as time went by, just manage to learn how to do it correctly. Used to attack the metal surface to be grinded and would find my surface to have more of those deep circular marks specially when moving the grinder back and forth, and the more I will have to stay grinding that metal surface. Just sharing, it may be simple but its effective and useful. hehehe
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    Well did have the same approach or style before when I was new with using angle grinders but as time went by, just manage to learn how to do it correctly. Used to attack the metal surface to be grinded and would find my surface to have more of those deep circular marks specially when moving the grinder back and forth, and the more I will have to stay grinding that metal surface. Just sharing, it may be simple but its effective and useful. hehehe
    Definitely a great tip. I have such a long time between welding seasons that I need reminders of great tips like this or I will surely forget!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

This is a pretty good write up. You put a lot of work into it. I wish more tutorials were like this. Tutorials accompanied with media are always the best ones.

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    Here is a trick or some tips too that I would like to share when using an angle grinder specially when fitted with a new grinding disc. This will be very useful specially for new owners of this very versatile power tool and probably for old timers as well having difficulty with grinders fitted with new grinding disc/s. We have discussed so much of how great and effective our welders are and how often it is used. Well in my humble opinion, an angle grinder is another tool we can't do without when metal working, it will always have to be beside us while welding, or fabricating.

I have here two of my angle grinders which I always use just to demonstrate the simple trick........................

A Makita 4" angle grinder ans a DeWalt 5" angle grinder which I commonly use for its lightness, easy handling and maneuverability.

Here in these two images, I am showing one of the angle grinder fitted with a new grinding disc, you can see the edge of the grinding disc as still with a crisp edge and evidently un used.

With these two images, you can see how the angle grinders are positioned prior to grinding mode. I guess that is why this is called an angle grinder, the motor drives a geared head at a right angle and the grinding disc attachment grinds metal surface at an angle position at about 15, 20 or 30 degree angles and its the tip of the grinding disc that's only touching the metal surface.

A closer look of the grinding disc at an angle position and only the edge is touching the metal surface. Many new owners or noobs using an angle grinder thinks its used in a flat position ! but why not ??? Only thing is its not effective !
    nice pics of grinder and good tips how to use it safely

Thanks again guys, really glad to know this good tips can be of good use to most of us metal workers/welders. Sometimes we take this tool and its usage for granted and realize only the danger when accidents occur.
    Glad to be sharing this to everyone !
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.