FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MIG purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    MM210, 212, 251 and 252 allow for this option. When I bought my MM210 (2004) I just missed a promotion with a free spool gun kit.
    Ouch! I hate that but I was never a very lucky guy (Everlast contest aside). Whenever I line up at the supermarket, go to a different line than me! LOL
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    For those observant enough to notice, I recently won an Everlast contest. They run for three months roughly every quarter. The first "Green" contest I entered I didn't win, place or show (they have three prizes) but in this second contest, I won first prize!

I wasn't going to bring it up on this forum but since Simon let the cat out of the bag, I'll explain my current predicament. I have $1500 Everlast Green bucks to spend. I can:

1) sell my trusty Everlast 185 AC/DC TIG/Stick welder and upgrade it and an Everlast plasma with Green bucks and then buy a MIG/MTS myself

2) keep my Everlast 185 and use the green bucks on an MTS and buy a plasma cutter myself

Some other combination.

Any way I slice it, I'll need to cough up some extra cash so I'm hoping I can capitalize on some projects in the new year to supplement my winnings.

Thanks for the input on the Thermal Arcs, Robert. Yes, the little brother to the 211 definitely caught my eye. That would fall nicely with Option 1. I noticed that Everlast announced this week a couple of new MTS units for 2013. I haven't looked into those yet but that would fall nicely into Option 2. And somewhere in the mix I'll need to finalize what I want to do for a plasma cutter.

Good thing I've got a bit of time to sort things out. Thanks again, Robert!
    How long is the certificate good for? Be sure it doesn't expire before you try to use it.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    How long is the certificate good for? Be sure it doesn't expire before you try to use it.
    thanks for the tip. Yes, I checked and they are quite flexible. Some of their new 2013 models are so popular, they have a waiting list for the next container that's coming in so they are happy if I don't jump in immediately. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Hey Odleo, have you scoped out whether you can weld aluminum with your MIG as-is? (as in without a spool gun?)
    I have not tried Aluminum withmy welder as is. To tell you yhe truth I tried Aluminum before with a friends MIG and found that Darn puddle is not easy to see for me at least. I also tried SIC's TIG on aluminum and still had the same problem but one of these days if Stan will slow down for a half day I will get him to help me learn how to do Aluminum maybe he knows a trick or two so i can see the puddle.
    Thermal Dynamics 211i multi purpose
    Victor O/A Torch
    HF 80 amp arc welder
    Lincoln tombstone
    Really old and I mean old welder
    Lots of clamps, grinders
    And a desire to lean all I can about welding and fabrication
    Oh forgot I have gotten to use an awsome Longevity multi purpose machine and sweet enigne drive thanks to SIC Fabrications

Aluminum puddles are a different animal. More bench time and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

A little off topic here undercut !!!!!!!
    Before anything else, I would like to congratulated you for winning that Everlast contest and having now that amount, you can probably choose a plasma cutter or an MTS welder in one.

I think a spool gun is still needed when doing aluminum welding, so you won't be changing spools in the unit, it saves a lot of time and effort. I just don't know if odleo opt to also buy a spool gun when he purchased his TA Fabricator 211i .
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Almost missed this one. Thanks, Robert! Yes, a plasma cutter or an MTS. Problem is, with a greater emphasis on building a small welding business, I now have my eyes on getting both units in 2013 so I will need to spend some cash. I need to choose very carefully because I don't have much cash but need to have quality.

I am too cheap to have bought the spool gun when I bought my 211i. It was hard enough for me to write the check for the welder let alone having to include the wire, gas in that check.

I am hoping for Christmas to get either a spool gun or maybe a TIG machine, but it will probably be put on hold due my being a CHEAPSKATE !!!!! and not wanting to spend the money.
    Thermal Dynamics 211i multi purpose
    Victor O/A Torch
    HF 80 amp arc welder
    Lincoln tombstone
    Really old and I mean old welder
    Lots of clamps, grinders
    And a desire to lean all I can about welding and fabrication
    Oh forgot I have gotten to use an awsome Longevity multi purpose machine and sweet enigne drive thanks to SIC Fabrications

Quote Originally Posted by odleo View Post
    I am too cheap to have bought the spool gun when I bought my 211i. It was hard enough for me to write the check for the welder let alone having to include the wire, gas in that check.

I am hoping for Christmas to get either a spool gun or maybe a TIG machine, but it will probably be put on hold due my being a CHEAPSKATE !!!!! and not wanting to spend the money.
    Being wise with your money doesn't necessarily mean you are a cheapskate (I say that to myself everyday!)

Going AC/DC TIG might just be the ticket. Depends on how much aluminum you think you might do. If there is a lot, MIG will save time and the spoolgun would be useful. If it is only here and there, might not justify the cost. My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Hey odleo, if there is no need for you to weld some aluminum and happy/satisfied enough with using your TA as is, then well in good and let it be. Really no need to waste some hard earned money there. Thinking of buying a Tig machine, why what's wrong with the 211i tig process ? Better be thinking of getting a plasma cutter, saves a lot of time in cutting instead of a grinder specially for plates and thin sheets, IMHO.
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.