FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new safety item

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    .... I still prefer the one I purchased at amazon.com last year, its a Uvex Bionic Face Shield, I just wear a separate ear muffs for hearing protection during heavy metal grinding or cutting, it really covers your face up to the neck and is very light too. Replacement visors are also always available, clear or shaded. Well we all have our own choices of safety equipment for protection, hope it does works fine for such intended use.

Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield : Amazon.com : Home Improvement
    I saw that one when I was looking for some polycarbonate over the glasses safety eyewear. Does it every fog up on you?
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Nope, there's a lot of space between the face and the clear visor, plus I don't think you will have any problem when you're wearing your eye glasses. So light that sometimes I would forget I have it on.

Nope, there's a lot of space between the face and the clear visor, plus I don't think you will have any problem when you're wearing your eye glasses. So light that sometimes I would forget I have it on.
    Nice! I was actually surprised that it wasn't too expensive when I first saw it. Hope it holds up well and doesn't get scratches easily.

So far so good with my face shield but I guess that will also depend on how one cares for the face shield visor, oh its also very effective when you are de burring metal edges or some ugly welds, really protects your face. Well I'm kinda interested too on the ear protection and mesh, looks very sturdy enough and its cheap ha ? I can definitely use it when chainsawing some firewood.

So far so good with my face shield but I guess that will also depend on how one cares for the face shield visor, oh its also very effective when you are de burring metal edges or some ugly welds, really protects your face. Well I'm kinda interested too on the ear protection and mesh, looks very sturdy enough and its cheap ha ? I can definitely use it when chainsawing some firewood.
    I take pretty good care of my stuff. Sometimes, though, if I'm in a cramped location, I forget how much room my headgear takes up and I end up scratching it as I try to fit my head into an opening. With my welding helmet, that isn't too much of a concern because the viewport is so small so I only end up scratching the shell.

Well I guess its ok and no problem at all if the shell gets scratched often as long as we protect and try to avoid getting the poly carbonate clear visors scratched when we set our face shield down on the welding table or wherever we place it after we're done using it. Its just a matter of self discipline and perhaps some common sense.

Yeah. I definitely need to get the discipline part down! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    My plexiglass face shield is also getting quite scratched up and I couldn't find the proper replacement for it.
    Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.... Or almost any chrome / alum polish paste will take lexan to clear pretty quickly. Used a ton of it to re-clear headlights, but I haven't tried looking through it. Might be worth trying on a to be thrown away full face shield.

If it's awful, 1200 grit wet followed by polish makes headlights look better than new. ^_^
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.... Or almost any chrome / alum polish paste will take lexan to clear pretty quickly. Used a ton of it to re-clear headlights, but I haven't tried looking through it. Might be worth trying on a to be thrown away full face shield.

If it's awful, 1200 grit wet followed by polish makes headlights look better than new. ^_^
    Nice tip. All that knowledge you gained from your previous life must be super handy. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    I saw that protector mask and always wondered why someone would choose that instead of the clear plastic ... now I know!
    been thinking of the same thing