FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stick Welding Electrodes

Stick Welding Electrodes

I'm currently using a few different packages of stick electrodes. This is the one I use the most often as it penetrates really well.

These are 3/32" 6011 Lincoln Electrics. Slag has a hard coating to it but comes off relatively easily. Easier with a welding hammer than with a brush although the brush cleans it up fairly well once the slag has been initially hit with the hammer. I'm using 3/32" electrodes because the steel I'm using isn't particularly thick. With my welder, I have no trouble burning these at 110v with plenty of room.
    Last edited by undercut; 10-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Drat, more than 5 minutes passed and I can't edit the last post. The arc is very, very smooth (probably more of a function of the welder than the electrode as all of my sticks burn with a very smooth arc). Penetration is excellent. Puddle with this 6011 is very easy to see.

I also have some Lincoln Electric 7014.

Once again, the arc is very, very smooth. Penetration is OK. Again, I'm able to burn these 3/32 with my welder at 110v with no problems. Because of the iron powder in the coating, these have greater disposition than the 6011. The resulting welds are also smoother.

I've got some Lincoln Electric 7018s. Apparently some people in this forum don't like these Excaliburs much.

I didn't read that thread until after I had already purchased them. Some other forums have people who love them and that is why I bought them. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. They need to be kept dry.

A bit hard to find 1/16" electrodes in my area that don't cost an arm and a leg. I want them for when I'm welding really small or thin materials and don't want to bother to TIG the material (especially if it is something that I don't want to spend any time ensuring the parts are super clean). I bought these at Harbor Freight on sale and keep them on hand in the event I need them. These are 6013s. Arc is super smooth which is surprising given these are from Harbor Freight which definitely leads me to believe it is my welder and not these gourmet electrodes! Puddle is easy to see and manipulate.

I needed to complement my 1/16" 6013 with a 70xx series electrode so I bought these Harbor Freight electrodes on sale.

These are 7014s. The arc is really, really smooth. The puddle, however, is tough to see because of all of the flux swimming around. Proper technique is a must to ensure the flux is pushed out of the puddle. On the plus side, the slag is really easy to remove.

Are the hf rods made in Italy? I've seen a few posts that the Italian made wire is suppose to be decent also. They charge about the same price as the lws so I haven't tried any yet.

I mostly use 3/32 6013 Lincoln rods from HD at work.
    Tyler

HH140
    lincoln buzzbox

I'll have to look. When the HF ones are on sale, they are a pretty good price. I don't need many, just a few 1/16" just in case.

OK, I had a chance to take a look. The HF sticks (6013 and 7014) I have are both made in china.

What stick welder are you using?
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX