FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Review Of My Safety Equipment

My Review Of My Safety Equipment

Well, I've been using my safety equipment for a little while now. Thought I'd share my experiences with everyone in the hope that they can learn about what I bought, whether it worked for me and maybe what they should look for in the equipment they are purchasing. I'm not an expert by any means. I'll post a picture of each and if I can remember, will list where I bought it from.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

In for this thread!

Things I still need to do
    -get some long sleeve 100% cotton shirts
    -Kind of want a tig finger
    -upgrade my hf helmet and gloves
    Tyler

HH140
    lincoln buzzbox

I've got some feedback for you. Stay tuned. Pictures uploaded and I've got an idea on what I want to say for each. Just realized I don't have a picture of my helmet. I had (have) some unique requirements so I needed to mod it a bit. Hope no one laughs!

I just approved your gallery photos so you can start your safety school Undercut. This is going to be a great thread, thanks.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Thanks, Gadget!

I bought a few things before I even had my welder. Made sense given the fact that I couldn't afford a welder and had to wait a very long time until I could muster up the cash. One of the first things I purchased were leather gloves and a leather apron combo from Harbor Freight. Cheap and I knew that going in but having not welded before, I wanted to get my feet wet, figure out what I really needed and hoped that I could make some money to continue with this new hobby. Here they are:

First of all, if you purchase these, be aware that the factory uses a dye to get the leather to be that shade and expect the leather to have a huge amount of that dye still in the leather when you bring it home. It'll stain anything and everything it touches if it is at all wet. This includes sweaty hands, arms, etc. So I had to do what you should never do to leather, I washed them in water. Repeatedly. And then I did it again. And again. When I say huge amount of dye, I mean it!

The split leather is relatively thin. The stitching isn't terribly strong in the gloves. After washing, the gloves looked like they do in the picture.

Given these two facts, you might have guessed that I have some seams opening up in the gloves and the leather is wearing thin in a few places. They are lined. Good thing though is I don't feel any heat using these gloves. Keep in mind that I'm not burning huge rods and I'm not plasma cutting.

The apron isn't as bad as the gloves. The apron is a bit narrow and it is most apparent at the top.

I also purchased the leather sleeves from Harbor Freight. Please be aware that these sleeves are getting horrible reviews on the Harbor Freight site!

The majority of the reviews say the sleeves are too small. Fortunately for me, I'm not a big guy so I went ahead and purchased them.

They might have dye in them too but because of the color, I haven't noticed any rub off (yet). If you look at the picture, you'll see where the apron's dye has rubbed off on the sleeve. Fortunately for me, I noticed that pretty early on.

The bottom cuffs are elasticized and the tops are too where I guess your elbow should be. I never washed these so the leather doesn't seem as thin as the gloves and the apron. I'm not color coordinated like Kevin is. I like his setup and I'll probably get into why a bit later when I talk about the modifications I made after using my equipment for a while.

I purchased these ear plugs a while back - even before I was even thinking about welding.

I believe they are 3m. Notice that they have three curved surfaces to match the contour of your ear. I have another set that have straight ribs on them and they aren't as comfortable nor as easy to insert. I keep these in my ears as soon as I start to push my welding cart outside to do any welding or grinding. They say a good stick welding arc should sound like bacon frying. Well, I never hear what's happening when I'm welding but I think I've gotten past using my ears to know when I'm not doing a good job!

These are good ear plugs. They knock out a lot of noise and keep the burning stuff out of my ear drums. When I start TIG welding aluminum at 250 Hz, I'll be super glad I'm in the habit of putting these on first thing! Because they are ear plugs, I hardly know they are there and there is zero interference with my helmet nor safety glasses.

Safety glasses

I got these free with my no name reciprocating saw so I don't know the brand. They fit well over my prescription glasses and the distortion through them isn't too bad at all. They've got side panels that help block from the side and a bit of a ledge on top. I've read some horror stories about people who've had a big of metal get stuck in their eye when grinding. Even though I wear prescription glasses, I put these on for big flying debris and the small stuff.

I somehow got a small metal sliver in my finger the other day and I can just imagine that little thing could very well end up in my eye if I didn't do something to help prevent it. The small stuff scares me more than the big stuff because I can see the chances of the small stuff flying around being infinitely greater.

Footwear. I wear my leather boots when welding. They keep the hot stuff from finding their way past the tongue. They also have a nice thick layer of rubber for the soles. No pictures. I'm sure all of you either have boots or have seen what they look like. I welded with my runners on once. Thought I could get away with it. I felt the heat of the sparks in the tongue area and realized pretty quickly I could not. My runners don't have a tongue made of leather. YMMV.

Helmet. I don't have a picture. I've got the Harbor Freight Blue Flame helmet. This product actually does have good reviews on their site.

The head band hurt the back of my head until I started to bend it to try to match the contour of my head. Not sure which is defective in design, the helmet or me ... LOL.

I've only been flashed once and that was when I was ducking my head under my welding project and I guess the sensors were covered. The flash didn't hurt and I didn't see stars.

The helmet should be labelled solar assisted. It has two lithium batteries soldered to the circuit board and the solar panels provide some extra power to help prolong the batteries' life. There isn't a rechargeable battery in the helmet but I've heard feedback from people that their batteries / helmet have lasted over 6 years and still going strong. YMMV. Here's a link to instructions on how to change the lithium batteries to standard AAA batteries. My lithium batteries are still good but I did the conversion anyway.

Harbor Freight Auto-Darkening Solar Welding Helmet Repair - pskl.us

I don't flip my helmet up and down. It's either on my head down or it isn't so I lock the flip mechanism in the down position. I also have the helmet as close to my face as possible. This makes it get warmer to wear but I like it close and it has a side benefit of giving me a greater field of view because my eyes are closer to the filter.

I don't really have anything bad to say about my helmet but then again, I haven't used any others so I'm not sure what I'm missing.