FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: 6010 rods

6010 rods

Which machine is good with 6010 welding rods and 7018

Quote Originally Posted by gpete View Post
    There are some welders that have a specific 6010 port. I believe it has something to do with 6010's preferring a sightly higher welding voltage. I haven't heard of any inverter welder having issues burning 7018.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

A little more information from welding pro that has a popular website. Love his videos and advice ...

Small inverters (220 1ph) and celullosic (6010) rods. Why don't they work together well??

Lincoln 5P 6010 is my favorite rod. I use it more than anything. My 200DX does not like 6010 but welds good with 7018. I have other machines that I use when I burn 6010. I have a Miller 250 Dialarc I use in my shop and a Lincoln Ranger 250 I use for portable. They both like 5P. I can not comment on the Longevity stick machines, I have never used one.
    Steve
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Lincoln Ranger250
    Longevity TigWeld 200DX

Quote Originally Posted by gpete View Post
    Hey gpete, I noticed that you were asking about the 200DX and 200EX in another thread. I took a look and neither had the special 6010 port. They both should run 7018 fine, though. Hope this helps!

If stan sees this he can explain pretty well, even to the point that I can understand, why it won't work well. It has to do with arcforce. 6010's need a lot of it and the inverter machines, more times than not, just don't have it. They have the voltage and amperage but not enough umph to push it. I tried to use some 6010's with our 160... I ended up talking ugly and getting my blood pressure raised pretty good before I called Stan and asked him what was up. Then after talking to him, I just used the old handy dandy ol school ac/dc tombstone and problem was solved. Maybe some of the larger inverters or those that are designed to have enough arc force may be able to do it but I know it is tough on em.
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

I understand now it has to do with current, thanks.

I've heard some people have had some success with their inverter welders and 6010 without the special port but I believe that was by chance as many of the manufacturers won't recommend their welders with 6010 without a port dialed in for it. Cheers.

Can't comment on a machine but make sure to remember 7018 is a drag rod. 6010 you have to whip or step. You'll never get anywhere dragging a 6010 it will just cut.