FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for welding table

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Looks like a great start. I sure hope you didn't have to buy that stainless, it must be expensive.
    You would be surprised what kind metal and metal things that can be purchased at a scrap metal yard. They have stuff set aside that they bought at scrap price, then sell for a small profit.

Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  102.1 KBName:  IMG_0108.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  112.0 KBName:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  92.3 KBName:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  80.4 KB

I hope to start welding this up this week. I know it looks a little rough right now.

Looks pretty slick but I think I'd have some outriggers for stability. Looks like you have a narrow base supporting the wider table top. Maybe it's just the way it looks in the photo but you can't be too safe especially with a heavy top.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Looks pretty slick but I think I'd have some outriggers for stability. Looks like you have a narrow base supporting the wider table top. Maybe it's just the way it looks in the photo but you can't be too safe especially with a heavy top.
    Agreed.
    But it's a great start.
    Scott
    Lincoln 135
    HTP 221 DV

Good point. Definitely don't want it falling over. I love the height adjustment!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Took the advice and made the table top smaller. It will now be 24"x36". Took about an hour to cut through 36" of 1/2" stainless. Having fun, isn't that what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Took the advice and made the table top smaller. It will now be 24"x36". Took about an hour to cut through 36" of 1/2" stainless. Having fun, isn't that what it's all about.
    It better be about having fun or I've got all of this equipment (OK, not nearly as much as some of you) and raw material for the WRONG reasons! LOL

X2 I have some equipment but usually no raw materials around though.

Does the top wobble? If so maybe add set bolts to the larger square tubing to clamp down on the smaller square tubing after you set the height?
    Tyler

HH140
    lincoln buzzbox

Quote Originally Posted by 87slosohc View Post
    X2 I have some equipment but usually no raw materials around though.

Does the top wobble? If so maybe add set bolts to the larger square tubing to clamp down on the smaller square tubing after you set the height?
    Great idea! My guess, though, is that it doesn't wobble ....

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Great idea! My guess, though, is that it doesn't wobble ....
    Can't see the picture to well on my phone to see the attachment point for the end of the ram so wasn't sure. I've never had tight tolerances fitting two tubes together though and that little bit of rocking or wobble would bug me.
    Tyler

HH140
    lincoln buzzbox