FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for welding table

Need ideas for welding table

Hey all, looking for ideas on a portable welding table. Something that was wheels and maybe 2' x 3' work area. I have thoughts but you might have better. Thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Hey all, looking for ideas on a portable welding table. Something that was wheels and maybe 2' x 3' work area. I have thoughts but you might have better. Thanks

Steve
    Drawers are nice if you can swing it. If you are short on room, something that can fold up and "hang" or lean on the wall might be something to consider. Note that drawers and folding up are probably mutually exclusive ...
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

So far I have a piece of 1/2" stainless plate 2'x3'

Phoenix Arizona in the shadows of Camelback Mountain
    Do you have a regular work bench?

If so how about a slide out welding table, something with fold up wings to contain sparks and what not.

I had a router table like that in my garage. Worked great.

A folding table off the wall is good also.

or maybe a table with fold up legs that you would hoist to the ceiling with a pulley system to get it out of the way, but can drop down when needed.

A table with wheels is great but even better if it will nest under something to get it out of the way.

Need more info. about where it is going to get the really wild ideas flowing...

or I just need more wine....
    ProMTS 200 Everlast PowerTig 255ext MigWeld 140 ForceCut 60I ForceCut 42i AHP Alpha Tig 200x

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caron View Post
    Do you have a regular work bench?

If so how about a slide out welding table, something with fold up wings to contain sparks and what not.

I had a router table like that in my garage. Worked great.

A folding table off the wall is good also.

or maybe a table with fold up legs that you would hoist to the ceiling with a pulley system to get it out of the way, but can drop down when needed.

A table with wheels is great but even better if it will nest under something to get it out of the way.

Need more info. about where it is going to get the really wild ideas flowing...

or I just need more wine....
    Great ideas, Kevin. Yes, a little more information will probably get the creative juices flowing in the right direction.

First of all thanks. Even though I have a nice garage it is a bit cluttered. I have zero wall space. I do have an old wooden bench with my compressor under 5'x3'. I have my bench grinder and small drill press on it and clutter. I was thinking of building a steel bench to replace it. Only prob with this is my wifes car is usually parked next to it. Idea 2 is build a portable on wheels that I could roll out to use. The plus with this it came be rolled outside to do welding (in nice weather ) Also do most guys have some type of clamping feature or do you C clamp everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    First of all thanks. Even though I have a nice garage it is a bit cluttered. I have zero wall space. I do have an old wooden bench with my compressor under 5'x3'. I have my bench grinder and small drill press on it and clutter. I was thinking of building a steel bench to replace it. Only prob with this is my wifes car is usually parked next to it. Idea 2 is build a portable on wheels that I could roll out to use. The plus with this it came be rolled outside to do welding (in nice weather ) Also do most guys have some type of clamping feature or do you C clamp everything.
    Sounds a lot like my situation ... except I don't have a wooden bench and I don't have space next to the car for one either!

When short on space, go portable and go vertical! Personally, I think you will want to retain use of your grinder and drill press so some bench needs to be stationary in the garage. I would go with a small bench just for grinding and drilling with the compressor under it (not sure how big the compressor is so this might not work) and a second portable welding bench so that you can weld even with your wife's car in the garage.

Personally, I C clamp everything.

Cheers!

Here is a shot of the under side. I added lots of bracing so the 3/16 table top wouldn't sag.

Here it is all loaded.
    It's 2 foot by 4 foot. Not sure how high. But just make sure you make it so it's comfortable to work on.
    I added casters that have a brake on each. I don't move it much but it's nice to have when I do move it.
    Scott
    Lincoln 135
    HTP 221 DV

Nice! I think I like the clamp holder the best! Cheers.

If you have a plasma cutter make a table with a grate on one side and holes for clamps or firebrick on the other, for plasma cutting safety safety a funneled drop under it and small bucket to catch dross and anything to small to be worth it to pick up, and some adjustable clamps built in for a third and fourth hand or even small section with rotiserrie motor for weldind round items...
    1 Longevity LS 200PI & Stand
    Thermal Arc 190 Mig w Chasiss
    3 Victor Pro O/A Torches, Journeyman Torches
    Blue Point Stud Welder
    12" x 6 Power Hacksaw
    6x1/2,8x3/4, Bench Grinders on Stands
    1" Belt Grinder on Stand
    13 Grinders Makita & Bluepoint
    Snap On Tools & 65 Anniversary Box