FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1998 Trans Am..

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    I'll let the cat out of the bag..
    I went and picked up a high mileage 6.0 liter lq4 iron block engine today..

It needs to be rebuilt, but it should be worth about 400hp with the heads off my ls1 engine and a $100 ls6 camshaft.. I might keep the heads off the 6.0 engine because they have a bigger combustion chamber than the ls1 heads and would be good to swap on for a supercharger or turbo engine later on... I paid $400 for the 6.0 engine, I'm going to pull the ls1, and sell the ls1 shortblock and build the 6.0 engine with that money.. (converter, gears, cam, valve springs yada yada yada).

I also weighed another option, I could easily turn a profit on the lq4 engine and leave the ls1 in the car and just drive it, sell the car... I wouldnt mind selling it and building up a nice chunk of change and start looking for a little prototrak lathe and or small mid 90's cnc mill and or a big plasma cutter.

I guess it's just another damn toy that I dont need..
    That's a mighty big secret! Decisions, decisions, decisions. Unlike some of mine lately, looks like you would come out a winner (more or less) with any of the options you laid out. Toys are OK as long as they aren't huge money pits. Cheers!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Why don't you put a sign on the window and entertain offers and go from their.I quess you gotta look at it from an economical side if you decide not to keep it is the amount of effort in an engine change going to get you the return for your effort.
    The paint work looks great and it shows where good prepping and care masking in dust and being clean right down to what you wear can make a difference that fancy equipment cant.
    1 Longevity LS 200PI & Stand
    Thermal Arc 190 Mig w Chasiss
    3 Victor Pro O/A Torches, Journeyman Torches
    Blue Point Stud Welder
    12" x 6 Power Hacksaw
    6x1/2,8x3/4, Bench Grinders on Stands
    1" Belt Grinder on Stand
    13 Grinders Makita & Bluepoint
    Snap On Tools & 65 Anniversary Box

Quote Originally Posted by tigqk View Post
    Why don't you put a sign on the window and entertain offers and go from their.I quess you gotta look at it from an economical side if you decide not to keep it is the amount of effort in an engine change going to get you the return for your effort.
    The paint work looks great and it shows where good prepping and care masking in dust and being clean right down to what you wear can make a difference that fancy equipment cant.
    That's a great idea. You never know. It might fetch a lot more than you are thinking and that might make your decision a lot easier .....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

This was the typical bone stock 1998 Trans Am.. unmolested, not wrecked, Loaded, dark grey leather interior..
    You serious? Where on earth can I find one of those that didn't belong to a middle aged female school teacher and actually got proper maintenance? Around here "Stock" and F-Bodies go together as well as the concept of a Honda as a passenger car and not being a massively loud, slow, annoying wannabe race car.

Looks like you had a great shoot. Looking forward to seeing it smooth as glass. ^_^

Just throwing this out here, and it could be camera angles... When did it get rear ended? (Might just be the rear plastic in need of final fitting - as everything should be after a fresh coat of paint. ^_^)

I'll let the cat out of the bag..
    I went and picked up a high mileage 6.0 liter lq4 iron block engine today..
    That's my boy.

Sell this one, build your lq4 to 8:1, and put it into the next one with a whiny little toy on top.

In truth, sell both. If you're in a spot to make money, make it. Especially if it's for tools that may potentially help with the making of more money. That Ram'll do in terms of toys for now. Less tickets, less gas, less insurance.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.