FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recent forum and gallery issues

Recent forum and gallery issues

You've probably noticed that we are having a few issues with the VBulletin forum software lately. These have been caused by an upgrade to the software done a while back. The oddities noted are some Gallery images are requiring admin approval before being viewable, this is not the desired behavior. It also seems to be kind of random on who it affects and when.
    Another issue is the inability of a user to change his signature, this is again kind of random and sometimes resolves itself over the course of a few days.
    The last issue is that a registered user may occasionally have his post set to require moderation. This should never happen for a registered user. It doesn't affect every user just one once in awhile making it hard to diagnose and correct.
    These issues are the result of the upgrade as mentioned before. We have initiated a trouble ticket with the VBulletin support on these issues and hope to get a resolution soon. In the meantime, please let me know if you are having any of these (or any other) issues and I will try to help you get around them.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Thanks for all your help Dan!
    Scott
    Lincoln 135
    HTP 221 DV

Quote Originally Posted by BucketObolts View Post
    Thanks for all your help Dan!
    Yeah, thanks Dan. Gotta love those software updates! Especially the ones where you can't back out of them ....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Vbulletin is frustrating! They require you to upgrade all the time because of security issues, which you cannot fix unless you upgrade. (Get this, you have to keep buying their license every year to upgrade). So we are dealing with getting the updates functioning. If you notice any problems, please post on here.

Thank you Dan for consistently making me aware of these issues so that I can have devs fix them and allow the users a frustration free experience!
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Quote Originally Posted by LONGEVITY View Post
    Vbulletin is frustrating! They require you to upgrade all the time because of security issues, which you cannot fix unless you upgrade. (Get this, you have to keep buying their license every year to upgrade). So we are dealing with getting the updates functioning. If you notice any problems, please post on here.
    Sounds a little bit like dealing with M!crosoft products .... Maybe they are looking to get bought out! Thanks for looking into these issues.

Over the years I have come to believe they are not bugs, but a way to force you to keep buying support year after year.
    Masseyman
    -- The only time you stop learning, is when you're 6ft under --

Longevity 200 SX
    Home made CNC
    Fancy Soldering Iron (hey, it melts metal)
    Various power tools (most resurected from what other people thought were dead)
    Drill press
    Mini Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Masseyman View Post
    Over the years I have come to believe they are not bugs, but a way to force you to keep buying support year after year.
    I never thought of it that way but you may be right. Very insightful Masseyman.

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I never thought of it that way but you may be right. Very insightful Masseyman.
    Unfortunately, it is an undesirable feedback loop. Buggy software forces you to need the software updates so you need to stay on the maintenance plan. Good software might make the customer feel confident about the version they are on and might just stay on it as-is and stop their maintenance plan. Some software companies operate like a monopoly .....

i am not able to upload photos tothe gallery. i have titled them entered a description andentered keywords for each one but am still not able to upload them it keeps pulling up a page that says; as you have uploaded multiple images you should correct the individual information. after youre done click "process" to proceed. i did that multiple times and it sends me to a different page and says no images to display??? help please.
    home use:
    Hobart 187 mig
    grinders, clamps, drill press
    hopefully a new tigweld 200 and force cut 50d soon.

work use:
    miller dynasty 350
    miller aerowave TIG
    miller syncrowave 350 lx
    millermatic 350P
    miller cp302 w/ cobra aluminum feeder and miller steel feeder
    miller invision 456mp power source with 60 series feeder
    clausing 22' lathe
    bridgeport mill.......

The gallery has a bug in the program. All settings are set to not require image moderation for registered users. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The images were there in the moderation queue and I have approved them. They now show in the gallery. If you get a message when posting images to the gallery that you need administrator approval it means the images have been uploaded but need approval before they become visible to regular users. I try to check the gallery several times a day so images should never take more than a half day or so to be approved. I'm trying to get the developers to fix this but they are working on more pressing issues now developing a new site.

Atlas 10x36" lathe